entity only compile?

(RayBan) #1

is there an entity compile only option? i seem to remember something about this…

if u made a map, and went through to bsp/vis/light stages… and then forgot to add
a key/value to an entity… is there a way to just add it and recompile so that it doesnt
have to be vis’d or go though a light map stage again?

(Twisted0n3) #2

is there an entity compile only option?

Not one that works. Sorry.

(RayBan) #3

actually, i found it… worked for me. -entsonly… saved me a 3 hour re-bsp/vis/light 8 samples compile.

(Twisted0n3) #4

Hrm, strange. I seemed to recall it being -onlyents and causing all kinds of problems. Has ydnar made a working version with a different switch for some odd reason, or are they synonymous switches and it does occasionally work?

(RayBan) #5

my bad, it was -onlyents

but it worked… i just added some key/val’s to an enity and used q3maptoolz to bsp it
with that flag set. no problems in the map.

(Twisted0n3) #6

Be advised then that it doesn’t always work as advertised; just so you’re warned.

(obsidian) #7

In other words, you don’t know what you are talking about.

RayBan, as you probably already know, -onlyents works fine for all entities with the exception of light entities where you have to do a -light compile as well, for obvious reasons.

(Twisted0n3) #8

Obsidian, there is no call for this insulting and rude behavior. Be civil or be quiet.

And to rebut: I definitely recall experiencing problems after -onlyents compiles with q3map2.

See also http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&p=4463#4463 where this was discussed earlier, on this forum, where the author of the software himself admitted that -onlyents is “dodgy”.

If you’re going to accuse me of lying or of incompetence, then, it seems that I am in distinguished company: you’ll have to accuse ydnar too.

Do you retract your accusation now?

(obsidian) #9

I’m not trying to insult you, but I’m pointing out that by saying that, “Not one that works. Sorry.” in your first post is clearly wrong and is pointing someone in the wrong direction. That’s my only beef.

The switch has issues, I’ve mentioned one such issues, but it does certainly work if you know what you are doing. And it certainly works very well if you are just adding/changing entity key/value pairs, which is what RayBan is after.

If you’re going to accuse me of lying or of incompetence, then, it seems that I am in distinguished company: you’ll have to accuse ydnar too.

I find it ironic that you would say such a thing, given the relationship between yourself and ydnar.

Whatever. Take in what I have to say or not, up to you.

(SCDS_reyalP) #10

Much as it pains me to agree with Twisted0n3…

I’m not sure exactly what situations the various radiants re-order ents. Unlike brushes, it doesn’t happen every load/save in 1.4, but I do have a vague memory if it being a problem in some case.

FWIW, if that did become a problem, you could avoid it by changing your entity keys in a text editor rather than radiant. Or simply doing a full compile when your map got borked by onlyents.

(Twisted0n3) #11

It’s quite obvious that you weren’t trying to be diplomatic. At all. As for whether you were trying to insult me, I say the jury is still out on that one.

I’m pointing out that by saying that, “Not one that works. Sorry.” in your first post is clearly wrong

There you go again, accusing me bluntly of telling a bald-faced lie!

The switch has issues

If you call “everything will get fubar’d unless all you change are key/values, and you do it in a text editor rather than Radiant” merely “has issues”, then yes, it has issues. :slight_smile: If it sometimes (and, under specific, awkward conditions, always) works, it still “doesn’t work” in general.

I find it ironic that you would say such a thing, given the relationship between yourself and ydnar.

I found it ironic also. Nonetheless, in this case, it seems we agree.

I don’t (unlike some people, I suspect) base my stated opinions or beliefs on who else shares them, but on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and on other things like that. If ydnar says it’s dodgy, and he wrote the darn thing, and it seemed dodgy when I tried it, I’m inclined to consider it too unreliable to be worth the bother of trying to use. You’re free to disagree, but insulting me and accusing me in public of flat-out lying? There is no call for that behavior. Now please apologize, and please desist from repeating it. (Note that I am remaining civil – no insults, no accusing you of lying, and I use the word “please”.)

(EB) #12

(Twisted0n3) #13

Sorry, something went wrong. There’s quoted material, but nothing original, in your post as it appeared on the server.

(RayBan) #14

if i did have to ajust a light entity’s value, i do undertsand that i would need to redo the
light stage compile… but it was just a missing key/val on a team_ctf_redflag, and it
worked perfectly after the -onlyents bsp. thanks.

(EB) #15

RayBan,
could you post the compile line that you used? …and what steps you used to make the compile work properly.
It would be nice to have this in archive.