Problems setting up EasyGen for ET

(Prophesy) #1

I did run into some problems trying to set up EasyGen for ET.

When setting up EasyGen, it asks to me to locate Import folders:

workmod:
wolfenstein - enemy terrority\etmain (no problem there)

bitmaps: ???

First of all, there is no maps folder in ET, but the Pakfile is located in etmain, so I used that one for export folders/bitmaps

however, after doing that, EasyGen told me that the folders…

wolfenstein - enemy territory/etmain/maps
wolfenstein - enemy territory/etmain/scripts
wolfenstein - enemy territory/etmain/textures

…does not exist, and it asks me if I want to create them.

If I create them, will things work as normal? Or is there another way I should do it?

I am not very used to terrain creation, but perhaps someone can help me here?

(Prophesy) #2

Please excuse a terrainn00b, but another question - about size this time - >> what would be considered a fairly large outdoor level in size?

Lets take fueldump for example, does anyone have any idea how large it is? Both width and height?

(sock) #3

Fueldump is a strange map because it was original one terrain and then became 2. The terrain sections are very big (256 map units) and were not very easy to twist into shape. Most of the terrains in ET where created from heightmaps and then manually tweaked in the editor because it was just easier with the new tools that were created.

Sock
:moo:

(MuffinMan) #4

bitmap folder can be whatever you want, it’s just the place where your alpha map has to be and is only used for importing that file

create the necessary folders in main, scripts, maps and textures, extract the terrain textures u need in textures and export after creating the map your metashader to the scripts folder, map goes in maps of course

i guess creating terrain for et will be the same as in rtcw, so here’s a step by step tutorial: www.wolfproject.net/tutorials.php

(Prophesy) #5

Thanks. Think I got it now.

(Prophesy) #6

Sock, sorry, just 1 more thing!

feels stupid

When you talk about 256 map units, does that mean you made 256x256 (or rather 257) pixel grayscale image?

(sock) #7

I mean GTKRadiant editor map units. Each triangle for the Fueldump terrain was 256 map units.

Sock

(Prophesy) #8

Thanks Sock.
Thats some very big triangles then!

I guess it is good for fps?

(MuffinMan) #9

yes it is, every triangle counts and just watch how many trees there are in fuel dump and other little things that add triangles, didn’t check r_speeds yet but i guess they are quite high anyway, as it’s a quite wide open map i’d wonder if they weren’t…

(sock) #10

The terrain triangle segments are big because of frame rate issues. It is also why the map was seperated into two halves by a cave system. The trees are not too bad, being 100-300 triangles each. (Depending on which tree u look at) Big open maps require big brush strokes to give an overall impressions, you don’t have the luxury of fine detail everywhere.

Sock

(system) #11

I noticed the fueldump terrain is taken from the rtcw sp-map forrest and modified.

Why are the r_speeds so high?
Is it because of the metashader and the detail-textures and lightmapped terrain? Performacne is still good but with higher r_speeds.
So if i get higher r_speeds in E.T its not the same like the 10k for q3?

I notcied the same terrain+q3map2= higher r_speeds in my map since i use q3map2.

(sock) #12

The terrain for fueldump was originally taken from the RTCW SP map “forest” and modified. The map is the original “tech playground” which has the majority of ET features. The detail shader is something which can be turned off by cvars. This is just an additional shader pass on the terrain texture.

Sock

(Prophesy) #13

Sock >> you dont - by any little chance - remember approx. how many 256 unit triangles that made up 1 of the 2 Fueldump sections?
:bump:

(sock) #14

The pcx file was 59x40 in size. I would not recommend starting with a map the size of fueldump. Always start with a small map to get an idea of what the engine can do initially. Large maps always have a habit of breaking things and hitting strange map/engine limits without warning.

Sock

(Prophesy) #15

Well, I doubt my map will get that big. I will mix terrain, and some non-terrain architechture.

(hummer) #16

Hmmm…

So, are there certain map dimensions that ET maps have to be? Like to fit into the command map and such? I’m guessing they could be smaller, but what are the dimensions of the ET maps? Aren’t they all the same size? They also seem square in shape… am I wrong about this?

(sock) #17

All the maps are different sizes. The co-ordinates for the command map have to be square in shape. Have a look at the worldspawn keys for each map.

Sock