64 bit CPU support?

(corvey) #1

I tried to search this but the search button is apparently broken… It’s probably already been asked a million times, so here it goes again, a million and one.

Will ET-QW make full use of a 64bit cpu in a 64bit windows XP enviroment?
I think it’s already been said SMP will be supported, which is great!

So if it is, a 64bit dual core cpu will really make this game super silky sweet. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to get my new machine when ET-QW comes out !!! WOOT!!!

(B0rsuk) #2

I think there’s still no 64bit punkbuster. I hope this answers your question.

(ouroboro) #3

PB worked when I tried 64 bit Windows quite some time ago. There was no PB for RtCW, but ET and Q3 I recall being just fine. Probably others as well.

(Sauron|EFG) #4

32 bit PB works in 64 bit windows (with 32 bit games), but that doesn’t mean there is a 64 bit version of PB (which would be needed for a native 64 bit game).

On the other hand thinking that there’s still no 64-bit PB doesn’t mean there won’t be by the time QW is released. :wink:

(corvey) #5

I don’t give a flying shit about PukePuster, it will be turned off anyway. Will the GAME itself have 64bit code and fully support a 64bit CPU & OS, that is the question?

(Lanz) #6

Nothing has been said regarding minimum spec, 64 bit or SMP AFAIK.

(Etnies) #7

lol @ PukePuster,

You enjoy hax0rz then?

(SCDS_reyalP) #8

It isn’t a given that a 64 bit binary will have noticably better performance, and even if you need a 64 bit OS for other reasons, there isn’t a huge penalty for running a 32 bit app under a 64 bit OS.

(corvey) #9

I have a bad feeling that is NOT going to be a 64bit game, simply because doom3 and quake4 isn’t.

(ParanoiD) #10

I dont think there will be a 64-bit version. It needs some recompiling for little to no extra performance i think. Adding SMP is way better. Still i have to do some research on Farcry 64-bit when i get my new laptop with a 64-bit cpu. Some say its only marketing for AMD, some say it made better graphics possible and some extra performance (heard up to 20%).

(Mordenkainen) #11

The 64-bit version of FarCry does come with better textures and allows you to see even more debris, etc. however, you can make all this extra content work on the 32-bit version. I certainly haven’t seen any significant performance decrease when using it on my 32-bit CPU.

The “only 64-bit CPUs can use this higher quality textures/etc” is marketing. OTOH, 64-bit binaries usually run noticeably better (even if they also use up more memory).

(ouroboro) #12

More importantly, why is everyone wearing reyalP’s avatar? Are there rumblings on the BananET front? :banana:

(kamikazee) #13

It’s just some more forum damage. Earlier this day, I saw parts of the website’s banner instead of regular smileys.

(B0rsuk) #14

Punkbuster kills all widespread cheats. There are some custom-made hacks, but they only work because very few people have it and they’re harder to detect. Any widespread hack gets owned fast.
The main problem with W:ET, however, is that ET cd-keys are too easily generated. This won’t be an issue at all with ET:QW, you’ll need to pay for every CDkey.

Even custom hacks can be dealth with, you just kick them by guid. (pb_list). Unfortunately some people are too lame to set up a server properly; I’ve seen a cheater gain referee status on a server and go on spree just because stupid admins thought more referees = better security. As it turned out, more referees = easier to find a ref who will share the password with you.

I don’t know the tools available to server admins, but if it’s possible to remotely give commands to a server, you can automate the kicking process by having an external shell script analyze server logs on fly. At least constant name changes are easy to nail down with pb_list, diff and so on.I don’t know if there’s a command to print number of headshots, but it will be very useful.

(corvey) #15

Just found this link, with Paul confirming 64bit and SMP. WOOT!!! Now I have a reason to install Windows XP 64bit version now :smiley:

(Sauron|EFG) #16

Note that he doesn’t say that it will give you a performance boost over 32 bit though. :wink:

(The article states that “24 player is the max”, is that correct? If not, can the rest be trusted?)

(kamikazee) #17

It’s an old article, dating from the 7th of April.
And in the discussion following that article, it was pointed out that the actual max player count is 32.

It could be misread at that point, Locki might have said “24 is the highest for good gameplay” which confused the author of the article.

(fraSer) #18

http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351

(fart666) #19

smp for sure but 64bit support means just 32bit with wow64. so far i know no native support here; bongoboy or wils said that allready…