Unexplainable Lagometer problem...

(V F) #1

Hi, wonder if there are any expert ET people that may know how to fix this problem.
Haven’t played ET in like 4 - 5 months, thought I’d give it a bash again.

I don’t even know whats wrong with the top bar in the lagometer. No breaks in the green and no red lines.

Any server I go to its always like that, giant yellow spikes. Reset the profiles, no fix, removed the profiles, no fix.
Everything is all currently at default, snaps, rate, cl_maxpackets, cl_timenudge any change makes no difference.

Players just warp about. Whats odd is I still seem to have a ping in ET but in ETF it’s at 0 with this yellow spiked bar.
Sometimes in ETF it would settle down for a minute and everything was smooth again then back to warping for ages.

Punkbuster is up to date, ET Pro is aswell. Even got the latest ET patch but found out many servers aren’t using it so had to go back to the previous version.

Really stumped as it seems no matter what I do nothing sorts it and only happens with this game. Connection is 1MB ADSL, nothing is using up bandwidth in the background. Been running graph monitors to clarify.

Before those 4 - 5 months it was working perfectly fine.

(Hakuryu) #2
  1. So you startup and can join servers fine, but once in all the players are jumping about?
  2. Can you play other games without any problem online like Doom 3 or Battlefield?
  3. Did you check your system logs for any warnings or errors?
  4. Run an up to date virus/spyware/adware scan lately?
  5. Did you add any new hardware or system software between the time you last played ET like a network card, operating system, or cable modem?
  6. Did you check the console in ET for any strange errors?

(V F) #3
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes, just played 30 mins of Quake4 and was fine. All players running about smoothly, even BF2.
  3. No error. No warnings.
    4.Yes, All clean.
  4. No new hardware. PC is connected to the router VIA Ethernet.
  5. No errors/warnings at all.

Do you get those yellow spikes on non-PB servers also?
Edit: I wrote something about portforwarding in your router, but thats nonsense, cause then if that was the problem you wouldnt be able to play at all… sorry 5am late night iq :drink:

(ouroboro) #5

The top graph is related to framerate, which I’m guessing isn’t a problem if you’re playing Q4 and BF2. It also shows the effects of timenudge, and my first thought was “WTF, timenudge can’t even go that far negative,” but you’re not using that. I’m not a coder, but I’ve got enough laymans understanding to find the relevant bit in the Q3 source code:

cg_draw.c - line 1724

// draw the frame interpoalte / extrapolate graph
	for ( a = 0 ; a < aw ; a++ ) {
		i = ( lagometer.frameCount - 1 - a ) & (LAG_SAMPLES - 1);
		v = lagometer.frameSamples[i];
		v *= vscale;
		if ( v > 0 ) {
			if ( color != 1 ) {
				color = 1;
				trap_R_SetColor( g_color_table[ColorIndex(COLOR_YELLOW)] );
			}
			if ( v > range ) {
				v = range;
			}
			trap_R_DrawStretchPic ( ax + aw - a, mid - v, 1, v, 0, 0, 0, 0, cgs.media.whiteShader );
		} else if ( v < 0 ) {
			if ( color != 2 ) {
				color = 2;
				trap_R_SetColor( g_color_table[ColorIndex(COLOR_BLUE)] );
			}
			v = -v;
			if ( v > range ) {
				v = range;
			}
			trap_R_DrawStretchPic( ax + aw - a, mid, 1, v, 0, 0, 0, 0, cgs.media.whiteShader );
		}
	}

Now we can await reyalP to come make proper sense of that and explain why yours would be always COLOR_YELLOW instead of COLOR_BLUE. :wink:

(senator) #6

looks to me as if your cl_timenudge is negative, if you’ve set it to -30 or something similar the game would always extrapolate the game world, resulting in constant yellow spikes.

(V F) #7

Checked it before and checked it again, timenudge is at 0. Thats why I made sure I started new profiles/configs where everything is default like it was just installed.

Only mods installed are ET Pro and ETF. Beginning to wonder if I should do a fresh install, but I fear it’ll be the same…

You can have several ET installations. A fresh install takes 5 minutes to make. You can just choose to install it in another place. D:\Games\ET2 for example.

(senator) #9

Have you checked ALL profiles? There is a seperate profile folder inside each mod sub-folder, and when connecting to a ETPro server for example the prrofile inside the etpro folder will be used.

(V F) #10

I think I’m just going to do a fresh install of ET anyway. Thats all thats left to do.

Yeah so far, double checked all and they were gone. Only mods I had was ETF and ET Pro. Removed every profile in sight and the same thing. :confused:

[Edit] Well looks like a fresh installation made no difference whatsoever. :frowning: Looks like I’m going to make it a permanent uninstall as its just unplayable with everyone warping about. Such a great game too. I just haven’t the foggiest whats wrong.

Even checked timenudge that Salteh suggested when in a server PB or no PB its at 0 and still spikes.

(Nail) #11

use separate install for ETF

(SCDS_reyalP) #12

Why ? Each mod gets it’s own directory anyway.

(Nail) #13

was the only way I could get it to work properly, it seemed to bork etpro when run on same install, no idea why, it’s just what worked for me

(V F) #14

Nail, what you mean with ETF? Doesn’t matter if I run the game with no mods or with, the same happens.

Even playing ETF its not like the lagometer sorts itself, as the same thing happens with it. This problem runs with any mod no matter what that I’ve tested.

Players warp about more with this strange behaviour than ET itself. Still a little warping here and there in ET but its still hard to get a shot down. ETF is the worst with this effect, its like one of those off balanced golf balls you hit, in sight then gone but somehow in game I have no ping, ends up stuck at 0 with ETF.

Only thing left to try, is on another computer. That I’ll eventually get round to.