problems creating an ASE file

(Carter) #1

Im trying to convert some various maps to ase files, however i’ve run into some problems. I’ve searched the forums and used the sample .bat file as a template to produce this:

"C:/q3map2/q3map_2.5.16_win32_x86/q3map2.exe" -convert -format map -v -game et -fs_basepath "C:/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3" "C:/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3/lvl_vent.bsp"

pause

however when i use this i get

*******ERROR]*******
Error opening C:/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3" "C:/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3/lvl_vent.bsp no such file or directory

even though the directory and the file are in place.

Im a complete noob at this so i don’t even know if im using the correct switches and q3map2toolz just dies on my comp with dozens of error messages

(kat) #2

Brushwork needs to be in a caulk box with an info_player_start in there. You then need to BSP the map and then -convert otherwise you get nadda.

(Carter) #3

ah found the solution, i had already done all of the above steps but my batch file had -et switch when i should have left it blank - im using the quake3 build of radiant. Thanks it works now, the code if anyone is interested is:

"C:\q3map2\q3map_2.5.16_win32_x86\q3map2.exe" -convert -game -fs_basepath "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\baseq3\maps\lvl_vent.bsp"

Although this is for Quake3

(Carter) #4

i’ve run into another problem, i can’t find a suitable importer for the ase file! Im using 3ds max 8 and the best i have found so far is one that isnt even supported on my version and refuses to load, plus most of the webpages with links to import scripts are dead.
There must be one out there, or have i missed something? :???:

(kat) #5

I’m supprised Max 8 can;t bring them in as I thought it had native support for the format. Try importing as *.asc (ascii) instead of *.ase). Otherwise use this to convert to a format you can use. I’ve not used Biturn myself but understand it to be pretty good for what it does.

http://mirex.mypage.sk/index.php?selected=1

(Twisted0n3) #6

Blender handles ase well, and it’s free. In the software world, price tag doesn’t actually correlate all that well with quality, as a rule (MSWindows and Linux give another example). The one thing it does still correlate with somewhat is interface usability, though – blender (and linux) are reputedly hard to use for n00bs. Unfortunately.

(As for why price and quality don’t correlate much – software has a marginal cost of reproduction of basically zero, so once a high quality piece of software exists it might very well become very widely distributed for nearly nothing. Software quality is fixed at the R&D stage, not in “manufacture”. Commercial software companies do of course have better funded R&D, but they tend to weight their budgeting in favor of things the marketers can talk up, which usually includes usability and feature set but not as much reliability or security, though the latter are showing up more and more on their radar, to the point that there are now television ads by Apple airing that are part of a campaign to compete with PCs (and therefore, effectively, Microsoft) in the area of security – logical, since it’s the area where MS has historically been weakest. In the meantime, open source is starting to pay serious heed to usability because they’ve noticed that beating the crap out of MS in the reliability and security and even feature set arena isn’t getting them much market share outside the server market, where the users are geeks used to arcane excuses for user interfaces anyway. At this rate, by 2015 there’ll be both commercial and open source software in many areas that are highly usable, reliable, and secure, at various price points, and the only thing keeping MS afloat will be its lock-in of OEMs, major game developers, and Office formats, having used “information rights management” to stop OpenOffice from completely interoperating in the latter field, and probably having used DRM-like methods to attract game developers to make Windows-only games by selling a “this will lock the game into a tamperproof box like an arcade machine – oh, did we mention it will not work on any other OS even with an emulator though? too bad” gimmick to developers that want to cheat-proof an online game, make a game arcade-like in other ways (such as having to pay money for each “continue”), or whatever.

That’s assuming that MS continues to be able to buy enough of the justice system and legislature in the U.S. to avoid getting more than the occasional antitrust slap on the wrist from the government in their home country, of course, but that’s a fairly safe bet. Meanwhile, open source may well kill commercial software in Europe and Japan, and is already doing so in China (ironic, given its undemocratic nature, but they just can’t pay MS’s prices and are increasingly being prevented from pirating by the ratcheting-tighter of MS activation schemes).

(kat) #7

Blender handles ase well, and it’s free.

Ignoring the rather useless ‘rant’ on software :rolleyes:

Blender now has a fully functional ASE import script so once brushwork models are converted to ASE they can be imported directly into the 3D app for further work. So should Carter not be able to get Max to work properly Blender is an option (can also be used as a file converter)

Selection of ASE import and Export scripts for Blender 3D

(obsidian) #8

Kind of silly, but 3dsMAX has native export, but not import… though this ASCII scene import plugin works… sort of…

http://members.lycos.co.uk/quakeroats/downloads/

Click on “asciiimporter 3dsMAX 6+.zip”

Originally from here, but can’t read German so I mirrored it:
http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&file_id=117

Rename your ASE to ASC, then import.

(kat) #9

Kind of silly, but 3dsMAX has native export, but not import

I can’t beleave they still haven’t got that sorted out, after all it is their format isn’t it?!

I was waiting for you to post in here actually because I couldn’t find a link to those ascii scripts we used to use with Max 5

(obsidian) #10

There was an ASE import plugin created by someone at Discreet (without having to change extensions like this plugin), though it was compiled for 3dsMAX 5 and below (or was it 4?). The source code was released as well, so potentially, it can be recompiled for 3dsMAX 8. I’m not entirely sure what needs to be done to get it to work though.