the same cool light compiling for q3 also for jk2?

(Charmin Deluxe) #1

i saw this pictures on fieslings page and wow :eek: i hope there is a way to have fine lights like on the screens for jo …

or this by in a map by cardigan

(Tigris) #2

AFAIK that is just a very low _lightmapscale, try making the brushes you like to get this effect on as a func_group and give them a _lightmap scale of 0.1 perhaps even lower. You can also do improve the look by adding options like samples “3” and I think samplesize “3” helps too- I’m not sure about the second one, but the first one should improve the look already.

(rgoer) #3

Does anybody know what the maximum (functional) “samples” value would be? And the minimum (functional) “samplesize” value? Can you have a samplesize smaller than “1?” And does it make sense to have more than “3” samples?

Also, would anybody be so kind as to explain the ins-and-outs of the func_group _lightmapscale trick Tigris mentioned? Would it be counterproductive to just throw all your brushes into a single func_group and set the _lightmapscale value “globally?” Can you give worldspawn a _lightmapscale key to affect the map “globally?” How much does _lightmapscale cost at compile time? If you had to guess, how low was the _lightmapscale value in those badass pics Charmin posted at the beginning? Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but, I mean, hot damn! Those shadows are ridiculously sexy! And, of course, I want sexy shadows now.

(SCDS_reyalP) #4

You can set _lightmapscale in the worldspawn. That should change all non-entity brushes. I would guess that shots you posted are more than 4x the normal resolution. However, I would suggest only doing high res lightmaps in the places you need it.

The downside to using such high res lightmaps is they take up a lot of space and video card memory very quickly. Normal q3 maps are limited to 8 megabytes of lightmaps. You can get around this in q3map2 by using external lightmaps (should be described in the q3map2 manual), but at that point, depending on the rest of your construction, your level performance may be in the toilet anyway.

Oh and in case you missed it, the q3map2 manual is here:
http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/manual/

I believe most of those shots were originally posted on the quake3world forums, you might be able to get information from the authors there.