How to prevent leaking of betas from playtests

(]UBC[ McNite) #1

Here is the “small trick” to prevent the leaking of betas from private playtests that I used for Redux and am using for Warbell:

You need:
a) a server with etpro and etpromapscripts enabled
b) a working .script
c) a seriously crippled .script (just delete whole scriptblocks of the important parts like spawns, objectives, accums, triggers etc. OR even just write rubbish in them)
d) and of course all the files for your pk3

Then you pack the pk3 completely with the CRIPPLED script. That way the map is not going to be hostable because there will be tons of bugs, maybe the map will not even start (depends on how much damage you do to the script).

Upload the working script to the etpro/etpromapscripts folder of etpro and the pk3 just as any other map to etmain. Make sure nobody has ftp access to the server while your working script is in the etpromapscripts folder.

That way you distribute a map to the playtesters that can’t be hosted. But it works on your server because the etpromapscript overrides the crippled scripts of the pk3.

Well… with a decompile and someone who s really good at scripting it might be possible to repair the script. But hey… who s going to spend time on that?

Simple but very efficient.

I also put a graphic file into all betas where I write on which playtest it is and that the map is not to be hosted without permission, and put this file as a “board” into the spawns so every player can read it easily, but that s just a nice touch.

(kamikazee) #2

I figured out that you might have wanted to post it yourself just before I posted it in the other thread. :wink:

It’s very efficient… as long as map site admins won’t ignore your warnings. (Most don’t if you’re clear enough, I think.)
First time, I was wondering how it could be possible untill I started your map to run around on my own. Then I just yelled “of course, the script file!”. :smiley:

(psyco_mario) #3

heh, i thought you might have done something like that :slight_smile:

Great idea though! :smiley:

(CrazyGuy) #4

You learned something new, everyday…

:eek2:

(]UBC[ McNite) #5

Maybe two more things that help leaking or make it plain obvious that the file is not for distribution:

1. Make a simple starting pic and write on it: Beta #(versionnumber) - no hosting without permission. You can use the standard pic ET uses for unknown maps, edit it, and save it as 32bit tga again.

2. And this really helps: Only playtest with ppl/clans you know and that accept your wish to not share/host the file. Only do the playtests on passworded servers (sorry mario… of course it was passworded) so nobody else can enter.

I know this is difficult for mappers without a clan, I m lucky cuz there with my mates and the 3 other clans that help testing me. But we have a thread in the stickies with clans offering help to test, so maybe ask them.

All this adds to your no-leaking-security, but the scriptfile trick is the best thing to do.

(Diego) #6

If you are going to use your server script to override a crippled one, do you even need to include a script file at all in the PK3? Then they have nothing to repair even if they know how.

(psyco_mario) #7

I got a great idea!!!

Make a massive clip brush covering your whole map (lol!)
Make it func_static, and give it a script name

In the normal script,(in pk3) leave it like that
In the server script (on server) setstate invisible it!

Local: Meh, you cant walk around
Sever: Normal!

(kamikazee) #8

Never tried spawning INSIDE a clip brush… Does it result in an immediate gib?

(da*Rogue) #9

Frustrating if testers walk around the map to provide feedback after a playtest, take sshots to illustrate problems or whatever, etc.

(psyco_mario) #10

noclip? :smiley:

(Shaderman) #11

I think you can’t move, that’s all :slight_smile:

(carnage) #12

I got a great idea!!!

Make a massive clip brush covering your whole map (lol!)
Make it func_static, and give it a script name

In the normal script,(in pk3) leave it like that
In the server script (on server) setstate invisible it!

Sever: Normal!

thats is realatively easy to get around with only a limited knowledge of scripting. McNites whole map script remove is very efficient and it would be a lot lot harder since a lot of de compiling and finiding names re scripting etc. even then it would probably come out differently. the effor needed in the second one would make it much easier to just w8 for the release

to remove a clip brush it gona take the time it takes to decompile the map + 1 minute to add a few lines to the script

(]UBC[ McNite) #13

Frustrating if testers walk around the map to provide feedback after a playtest, take sshots to illustrate problems or whatever, etc.

Rogue has a point there. We received quite some feedback by screenshots that were taken after the playtest. Its often very helpful to illustrate something with a small screeny.
Also that s why I only cripple the script to a point where it is still possible to run through the map locally.

(.Chris.) #14

One other thing I learned is to make sure after the test, the file is deleted off the server if it is used for public use afterwards, as in one case after a test of mine who I left a mate to organise for me left the map uploaded and available for download, it was only a matter of time before the uncomplete beta (Wolken3_b3) was out and about on various sites.

I like the whole crippled script idea though, genius!

(Graham) #15

That looks efficient, nice work.

May try that sometime.