Raw Castle b3 massive shader bug?

(]UBC[ McNite) #1

Hm I couldn’t find any post for Raw Castle B3 on this forum, so I m just posting a new thread.

We had Raw Castle on our server today, and one of your mates got this:

This looks like a massive problem with the custom shaders of the map, maybe a shader conflict? Anybody experienced this earlier?

And where the heck is the map release post for raw castle?

(zenith-ply) #2

I’ve gotten somethng similar before while testing maps in my modding setup. Prossibly more than one copy of a texture or folder in etmain.

On the shader side I just had an experience with a null poly shader error from a custom shader for a model that wiped out all the light textures on all maps globally, yet the light still emitted from the source. (Imagine a black surface radiating light.) Turns out it was a redundant parse variable in the shader. } It looks similar to what you have there, however I’m not sure this is the case since there seems to be no runtime error present.

(Diego) #3

Even the textures for his menu are messed up. That looks like his installation of ET is dorked up. Have him reinstall and load the map locally. And try it with a clean etmain folder with no other custom pk3 files except Raw Castle.

(MrLego) #4

That usually occurs when there is a missing bracket in a shader file - every shader attempting to load after the corrupted one is loaded gets screwed up, including the stock ET ones. For every opening bracket in a shader (or script) there must be a coresponding closing bracket.

You can try what Diego posted and if Raw castle looks fine it is probably in another .pk3 file.

Remove the all of the custom .pk3’s and try running ET - if it looks fine, start putting the customs back one at a time until things get screwed again, then you will have your offending file.

I have run into a few maps that have that look - it’s always been a missing bracket.

(nedd3h) #5

I run Raw Castle and Raw Castle TE on my server and they are played regularly (great maps!). I never had anyone complain of anything like this.

(R3ap4r) #6

Here’s the web-link from the creator of Raw Castle if u need it:

http://www.cyanureill.net/

(Loffy) #7

I had that massive bug once. It affects the menu, everything. Must be some bad pk3 I dl:ed. I cannot remeber what I did - this was over a year ago - but I probably deleted it and the problem went away.
Hey McNite, will you map for ETQW too? “The River - Stroggified”. I guess we all are waiting for the game and mapping tools.

(]UBC[ McNite) #8

Well what can I say: our member downloaded saberpeak and raw_b3 from our server. He only experienced this on raw_b3, not on the other maps or on another server.

@ Loffy: Right now we are working hard on finishing Warbell.

And tbh I m rather looking forward to RtCW2 than ETQW. I like fast maps… i doubt that the vehicles will give u the same arcade gameplay that ET and RtCW feature.

(kamikazee) #9

[quote=]UBC[ McNite]And tbh I m rather looking forward to RtCW2 than ETQW. I like fast maps… i doubt that the vehicles will give u the same arcade gameplay that ET and RtCW feature.[/quote]Which can still be arranged. Still, RtCW2 seems worth looking at.

(DerSaidin) #10

As to quakewars, I’ve been wondering for a while how it’d go if you made some small ET style maps with no vehicles. Even just ported ET maps.

New graphics, new gameplay, etc etc

RTCW2 is definently ftw.

(redRum) #11

Hey there,

As long as I know no-one has had this trouble before with raw_b3 but your friend. There is a known mistake in the tree models, that I’ve corrected for further versions (and I apologize for the possible troubles caused). You maybe should provide more info on your friend’s ET installation like:

Does he usually map, edit or mod the game in that game install?
Does he have any of the other raw castle versions in etmain?
Does he have cutom servers files that modify game textures/models?
Does he have any custom map where the oak 1to5 models are used? (this should only cause the trees to be wrong)
What errors did he get in the console? (if the font is distorted he can /condump to a text file)
etc

This looks like a massive problem with the custom shaders of the map, maybe a shader conflict? Anybody experienced this earlier?

All shaders in raw_b3 point to the textures/raw_b3 folder, also some of the textures properly shown in your pics ARE using custom shaders.

And where the heck is the map release post for raw castle?

There is no such thing.

That usually occurs when there is a missing bracket in a shader file - every shader attempting to load after the corrupted one is loaded gets screwed up, including the stock ET ones. For every opening bracket in a shader (or script) there must be a coresponding closing bracket.

Yes this is a common mistake when editing shaders, it’s so easy to miss a closing bracket. However, when it happens the whole game goes silly and this doesn’t depend on the map you are loading, even the main menu and the console look wrong as well. So, if the file that has the missing bracket is in the etmain folder no matter what you try to load, it’ll look wrong.

I’m getting both raw castle and raw castle te final verions ready so I just hope those will sort any possible troubles you had with older versions.

(zenith-ply) #12

fwiw, I didn’t mention it but the bracket error I had also messed up the main menu as well as all maps. rgbGen lightingdiffuse was one of the shader commands, although I don’t know if that matters.

(MrLego) #13

If there is a corrupted shader then everything gets messed up, including the hud graphics and menus.

Clear out all of the custom .pk3’s and put them back in a few at a time - try to isolate which one is the culprit.

You may have a bad .pk3 file in a mod folder as well.