Dual objectives

(BoltyBoy) #1

Is it poss to have both teams needing to steal an objective? Presuming each team would have different items to steal instead of the same thing.

So first team to steal their item wins.

(sock) #2

Yes it is perfectly possible to have dual objective maps in ET. To a certain extent the command posts are dual secondary objectives.

Sock
:moo:

(wudan) #3

That sounds cool!

(Womprat) #4

The depot in vanilla rtcw was dual objective. Both sides had to dynamite an objective on the other side of the map. I remember that map could go on for hours if the teams were fairly even since the timer didn’t determine the winner.

(sock) #5

Depot was the only dual objective map in RTCW. Dual maps can be confusing for new players because some will have to defend and some will have to attack.

Sock
:moo:

(BoltyBoy) #6

Ok here’s a basic outline of what I envisaged for a dual objective map…

Two teams start on either a battleship (not huge) or in a fort - I shall refer to this as their “base”. Each base has a gun which can be fired at the enemy base but in order to fire this gun they need ammunition.

The ammunition shells would be located at the center of the map - either on an island in the case of battleships or some building for a forts map.

Both teams would need to get to this ammo dump, collect their team’s shells and take them back to the gun to fire it at the enemy base. The way I envisage this would be that either side can only fire one shot from their gun at a time and then a new shell would be revealed for them at the central area. So basically it’s a race for either team to fire all their shells at the enemy base before the other team does so. In case of batleships I imagine both boats taking damage as the enemy shells hit - kinda like that old board game “Battleships” :slight_smile:

I reckon this could be particularly cool with a battleship map as one team could ultimatly capture the island and force the other to make beach landings to try and retake it - there would be landing crafts going to and from the battleships and the island’s beachs.

The map wouldn’t be huge as you may envisage. The island only need be large enough to make a good fighting area - ie keep the poly count down - not that anyone seems to care about that these days :stuck_out_tongue:

Initial problem I saw was that if all the ammo shells were available from the start of the game then one team could rush up- take them all and rush back to the ship and win the game within minutes. This is why only one shell per team would be made available at a time. Say five shells = win.

Another prob could be players would get bored of ferrying to and from the battleship and island - fighting for a few seconds and dying. In this respect the spawn time could be redused so the actual time between respawning and entering the field of combat would be no less than with existing maps.

If done well I think this could be a fun map to play, ultimatly watching as the enemy ship sinks below the waves :wink:

(MuffinMan) #7

sounds funny to me, go for it! sounds a bit like battle field (was it iwo jima?)

(BoltyBoy) #8

That was just an idea - no time to work on it right now.