Hosting a server

(druid) #1

I was wondering if 2 mbps uploading and 15 downloading would be good to host a 20 man server.

(mortis) #2

I’d think that would be enough bandwidth. Your connection type (FIOS or bonded DSL or whatever) will affect performance, in addition to the specs of the server itself. When it comes to bandwidth, more is obviously better.

(druid) #3

For mods, maps I can probally get an site and host em on there

(Juno_Who) #4

http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/content/enemy_territory/server_guide/requirements.html

(druid) #5

It didt help me out It said requiremnt did t help me too good

(druid) #6

How many 25 kilobytes would make up 2 mbps 25 kb is need per player

(Dazzamac) #7

A lot. 1MB = 1024Kb

(druid) #8

32 slots - 825 Kilobytes I added it up 25 and kept doing that every 25 I added 1 slot

(corvey) #9

25kb x 8 players = is about 2mbps

I highly doubt you would need to set it that high for a great game.

15kb per player would be more than enough and they probably won’t peak at that rate. on average 8kb-15kb per player though.

I would cap my server at like 12-15kb per player MAX if I were you. That way you’d make sure nobody is hogging it all and making lag for others.

So with a max setting of 15kb per player, you’d make a nice lag free server for everyone on a 14 player server. IF everyone is using even that much at a time.

REALISTICLY, since they all aren’t going to be sucking it up at once, you could probably get away with 20 player game, LAG FREE… Probably 25 but thats pushing it… Who knows, you may beable to pull off a 32 player game, but I’d say it will start lagging…

Trail and error… tweak it to what works best…

BTW… Where in the hell did you get that nice FAT pipeline from?

(druid) #10

verizon There taking over With fiber optics What do you got for intenert?

(Nail) #11

have you run a speed check ?

(EB) #12

Corvey, your math is wayyyyy off.

(druid) #13

Why he math is way off!!! So Would it be ok to host a 24 man server with 2 mbps uploading? 15 downloading

(Dazzamac) #14

I’d say so.

(corvey) #15

Corvey, your math is wayyyyy off.

I do believe my math was on point with an estimated average EB. If you feel like your equation is better EB , then please by all means enlighten us with your detailed conclusion and your formula on how you concluded the results.

Druid, I’d say you could host a fantastic 24 player game… I personally wouldn’t go over that limit to make others suffer lag by having too many people. As I said before, trial and error, just tweak it to what works best.

That’s sweet Druid, I wish I had the option for fiber here… I’m just using cable.

(Sauron|EFG) #16

No it’s not (apart from the fact that he uses ‘b’ for both bits and Bytes).

sv_rate 25000 ~= 200 kbps per player
sv_rate 15000 ~= 120 kbps per player

Do the math from there.

(corvey) #17

Yes, I meant KB for kilobytes. Since he said kilobytes, I just decided it was an easier way to describe it… Kb is for kilobits… SO, where I said “kb” just replace it with “KB”. So technical, geesh… lol =D

(Sauron|EFG) #18

If I wanted to be picky I would also have told you that ‘K’ isn’t a valid SI prefix and that ‘m’ means milli. :wink:

(Nail) #19

ISP’s sometimes gloss their claims

(corvey) #20

Yea, I’ve heard bad stories about people with broadband getting shitty speeds at certain times of the day due to the fact they are sharing the bandwidth with other clients. I’m lucky, my speed down and up stays pretty much solid at the speed they claim around the clock. It’s not much, only 4mbps down and 384kbps up, but at least I know I am getting what I pay for.

Wish it was more upstream though. My ISP is just plain greedy and are trying to capitalize on the bandwidth. They could easily offer more for less. Snakes.

You can goto http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to test your speed Druid to see what your actually getting and share with us your screenshot so we can envy you.