Monitor Response Time

(SniperSteve) #1

I was looking up the specs of my monitor and found that it has a response time of 40ms or less. Now considdering the newer monitors are ~8-15ms, how is a 40ms going to effect gameplay?

Oh, and for those of you who are curious, I have THIS Monitor.

Thanks Guys!
:cool:

(Lanz) #2

40ms equals 25hz or 25fps in a game so it’s quite bad.

(corvey) #3

Yea, for LCD screen 40ms is pretty crappy.

I still prefer my good old flatscreen CRT monitor.

(Lanz) #4

I wouldn’t mind an 8ms LCD screen though, 125hz, better than my crappy crt anyway.

(SniperSteve) #5

I was doing a bit of research and found out that a 16ms response time corresponds to a 60hz refresh rate. I run my monitor at 60hz, so the documentation from the manufacturer must have been off.

:confused:

I also tried changing my monitor to 75mz refresh rate, but it made everything really fuzzy, especially text. I assume this means the monitor Really isn’t met to be running at 75mz, or is it normal for it to get fuzzy like that at higher refresh rates? :suspicious: (can’t be)

(Nail) #6

more likely means you monitor can’t handle more than 60 - 65 hz refresh rate

(corvey) #7

I run my monitor at 1024x768 at 100hz and 1280x1024 at 85hz
my monitor will do higher resolution, but I don’t see the need to strain the cpu that much.

Funny, my monitor for some reason sucks at 60hz and it has always appeared fuzzy at the lower hz. More hz the merrier for CRT. Less ms is best for LCD…

(Sauron|EFG) #8

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-compensation.html

Some quotes:

The ISO 13406-2 method to measure the monitor’s response time as the total time necessary to change the state of a pixel from pure black to pure white and back again brings but very little information about the real performance of the monitor and easily misleads the user.
…
The problem is that the response time value obtained by this method is not the maximum and even not an average, but the minimal speed the monitor can have.
…
Moreover, the designers of LCD matrixes found it easier to achieve very low response times exactly when it is measured with the standard “black-white-black� method. As a result, the so-called “fast� TN+Film matrixes with a specified speed of 16, 12 and even 8 milliseconds appeared. Alas, they are not 2-3 times, but only 25-30% faster than the older 25ms matrixes because the response time on halftones has in fact remained the same.

There’s also differences in the technology that makes TFT response time and CRT refresh difficult to compare:

The transistors in a liquid crystal screen, he said, have to “hold” the aperture open to allow the light to pass through each pixel. That’s different from a CRT monitor, which pulses each pixel to generate the light.

With LCDs, he said, the eye and the brain continue to see light in between each frame, while with a CRT there’s a period of lower or no light in between each frame, and that helps the brain to process the movement.

All that said there are TFT monitors that works really good for gaming, though I don’t have one myself.

(Lanz) #9

Thanks for the links Sauron|EFG, very interesting info.