Red Cross plans to restrict its symbol in video games

(Ragnar_40k) #1

The Red Cross plans to restrict the use of the Red Cross symbol in video games.

The Canadian Red Cross is the initiator: http://www.davis.ca/community/blogs/video_games/files/red_cross_letter.pdf

(jjpron) #2

are we then to blame canada!?

(Sauron|EFG) #3

They have the same right as everyone else to protect the use of their symbols/trademarks, but I hope they will allow continued use where appropriate.

(Ragnar_40k) #4

Afaik this is only for new video games. For the ones already published the effort would be to great.
I wonder what game companies will use instead? An Ankh?

(Sick Boy) #5

The Red Cross probably stole the red cross themselves from some ancient religion.

As a follower of that ancient religion, I’m seriously thinking about sueing their ass. If only I lived in the USA … :bored:

(Shanks) #6

The Swiss should sue!

(nUllSkillZ) #7

Swiss flag is white cross and red background.

(eq-Shrike) #8

Tell you what … you apologise for Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion and we will apologise for use of your precious red cross :slight_smile:

(eRRoLfLyNN) #9

Things like this make me angry, so I won’t even begin…

(Enforcer) #10

The red corss ripped their “symbol” from ancient times just like the star of life, and the snake on the cross, all from ancient times,

so if they do “ban” the red cross we still got the star of life and the snake on the cross to use!

(Ragnar_40k) #11

Afaik the Star of life is protected/registered too.

(bandit5k) #12

Hmm…So you’re not allowed to put a Red Cross on a White Background…

Make it a Red Cross with a White Border. Same effect and no infringment…I think…

/shrug

Either way. It’s silly.

(Nail) #13

appoint an ex politician to an administrative position and he screws up, how novel

(Northerner) #14

i bet the Red-Cross would stop bitching if the game industry donated a small percentage
of profit from each game to there organization!

(Bongoboy) #15

…Which is why we didn’t have red crosses on health packs in W:ET, and won’t be having them in ET:QW either.

(eq-Shrike) #16

their …sorry I have a thing about their, they’re and there … character flaw :slight_smile:

oh and I was going to say that it probably wouldn’t end up where it actually did any good. These admin-heavy type organisations always end up ferrying their representatives around the world first class and let them stay in expensive hotels …

(Ragnar_40k) #17

phew So even the Red Cross and the Geneva Conventions can’t stop sd from completing ET:QW in time … :banana:

(Gringo) #18

Why does anyone care, surely there r more important things to ponder about in life!

(Jaquboss) #19

I can agree with it BUT they should allow to use it where it was ( eg. WW2 medics )
Also note that their red cross is already adapted almost everywhere…
It will be interesting when we won’t be able to use state names/flags, weapons, uniforms and so :nag:

(Pytox) #20

What will they use then for medics? :smiley: