which source map would we like

(Auriel) #1

so, what should sd give us?

(WolfWings) #2

Which maps have vehicles?

Fuel Dump, Gold Rush, Rail Gun.

Which maps have objectives to steal?

Radar, Gold Rush.

Which maps have objectives to build up and/or destroy in multiple stages?

Fuel dump.

Which maps have objectives that build differently based on team building?

Rail Gun, Fuel Dump, Battery, Gold Rush.

So overall, if Fuel Dump included some kind of physical objective to steal, it would have every possible tricky-to-build construction in place. At first glance, Gold Rush seems to have more variety, but it wouldn’t include any of the more complicated multi-level structures, like the reinforcements beside the fuel dump itself, or the bridge being reinforced, not just built.

Since Fuel Dump and Gold Rush are the two with vehicles however, the decision really is between those two, and what Fuel Dump would show, multi-stage construction of objectives, is likely a relatively trivial thing by comparison to some of the vehicle/building/weapon interaction Gold Rush pulls off. So, yeah, Gold Rush gets my vote. :slight_smile:

(Auriel) #3

goldrush and radar are both basically capture the flags :slight_smile:

i prefer radar (if i can get it to work lag free :angry: ) as theres more than ten feet to cross with your ‘flag’

(sock) #4

Each map supports a unique set of features which will appeal to different players as each map has different gameplay. Maybe everyone should wait for the documentation and then see what examples they need.

Sock
:moo:

(DACROW) #5

hi yall ! i cant really see the harm in giving us mappers ALL the maps from this Free game! i mean every mapper is differant and looks like we all could learn something from each map! as long as we dont rip them and or steal stuff should be oke! ? how about this sock wou;ld this be possible? it would give us all a head start into mapping for ET! :eek:

(fretn) #6

give them your finger and they take your arm :slight_smile:

imo 1 map is enough to learn all the tricks, cause there will be documentation, and people will find it out by their own and write tutorials, …

fretn

(DACROW) #7

well as sock wrote:—

Each map supports a unique set of features which will appeal to different players as each map has different gameplay. Maybe everyone should wait for the documentation and then see what examples they need.

Sock

— then each map is not the same and u can only learn from diff map types… I allso learn more from looking at how other maps have been put together! im not a good tut reader it takes me long to learn that way, we all have diff ways of learning and i learn better from looking at others maps etc… :smiley:

(MuffinMan) #8

i think i understand the problem sd has with releasing source maps, i mean the game is free but not open source and it is connected to id-software so id will watch the thing and i guess they don’t want mappers to get hold of the source to prevent bad clones and stuff that would at worst be named like the official maps and would give off a bad light on the whole thing, does that come near? on the other hand not many mappers like to give out their source because of the same reason

as stated in an other post i think it is not necessary to see a source map (while interesting i have to admit) let’s all wait for the documentation and then cover sd with questions and tutorial requests to prevent them from getting bored :smiley:

(fretn) #9

make that: “most of the tricks”, the other features will be documented (even some examples included ?)

fretn

(sock) #10

You sumed it up perfectly! :smiley:

Sock

(DACROW) #11

well firstly ya have to be pritty dumb to clone it! and remake it for ye self and give them a bad name i dont think this will be a problem my self :bash: :banghead:

(MuffinMan) #12

hard to believe but there are people out there to be dumb enough imho!

(Auriel) #13

i think that we should get oasis- i’m interested to see how the arcitexture was done (i’m a n00b :blah: )

(chavo_one) #14

Architecture is the easy stuff. You can look at tutorials and map source for any Quake3 engine game to learn basic building techniques.

It’s the new entities and scripting found in ET that will be the most difficult thing for mappers to master, and therefore we need to get the most bang for our buck on what we request from SD. That’s why I say Goldrush all the way!

(Auriel) #15

ohh but where do i find the tutorials :blah:

(sock) #16

This is a good place to start:

http://www.claudec.com/lair_of_shaders/tutorials.shtml

Sock

(MuffinMan) #17

http://www.wolfensteinx.com/surface
http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/tramdesign
http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/
www.nibsworld.com
http://fieslings-place.rtcw-liga.de/html/

should be enough for a start

(Auriel) #18

thnx

(hummer) #19

Yeah…

Brushwork is brushwork… we need examples of how the new entities work. From the looks of it, Goldrush covers most of this, and would be a prime candidate for a source release.