JO bsp format?

(Zy) #1

Does anyone know if the specs for JO’s bsp format have ever been published? I feel like programming a Jedi Outcast bsp level loader.

(LordDaimos) #2

I’m not sure about this but ain’t it the same bsp structure as q3? This might be totally wrong, but thats what i’ve heard.

/LordDaimos

(Zy) #3

Nope, the two formats are slightly different. Quake 3 bsp is well documented but I can’t find any info on SoF2 or JO bsps.

(wudan) #4

I’ve done some digging in to it, what do you want to know? It’s almost identical, just some differences. ydnar would know more about it than anyone, except Raven, but we know how community-friendly they are …

(Emon) #5

Raven has always been very community friendly. Don’t expect them to answer every e-mail, though. They probably don’t have time to simply tell you, “No, you can’t do that”, or they probably miss your e-mail entirely amonst their huge amounts of spam, klez, and flame and hate e-mails.

(Zy) #6

What differences have you found?

I though about compiling a simple JO box map and browsing through it in hex with the quake bsp specs in mind, but that’s way to inefficient.

(wudan) #7

What differences have you found?

I though about compiling a simple JO box map and browsing through it in hex with the quake bsp specs in mind, but that’s way to inefficient.[/quote]

I prefer HEX-Sniffing almost exclusively, eventually, you’d have to do this anyway. I haven’t found major differences, but I haven’t tried everything. I’d like to make a BSP Loader/Editor but it’s not at the top of my list of things to do. I only wrote a small program which takes entities out of the BSP, but that was just to see if I could. The same program also took texture paths and made a little 64 x 64 x 64 block for each one, so I could get the ‘palette’ for the map down.

I was thinking it might be best to break a BSP down in to it’s component parts and re-work from there, but I haven’t had a good look at the other, much larger parts of the BSP.

AFAIK, the differences are structural.

(ydnar) #8

The tools are (limited) open source. Divine from that statement what you will…

(Zy) #9

Where can I get the limited source? Is it at http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/ ? It seems all the files here are exe’s.

(wudan) #10

I read somewhere it was distributed on the GTKRadiant CVS or something r other.

(SCDS_reyalP) #11

zerowing.idsoftware.com

You can browse the CVS tree on the web, or download with anon CVS.