How to piss of your fanbase - rule #'1

(fattakin) #1

I still havent unwrapped my copy of CoD2 as im upgrading my PC. But the players are going on strike due to issues with cheating / punkbuster / modding and overall lack of comment from the makers Infinity Ward. Now im not into the CoD scene at all but i remember people complaining about this when the 1st game came out. But im certainly not fit to pass comment on IW. So on December 17th all servers are being shutdown or passwored with ‘ON STRIKE’ which is classic militant action!

It just goes to show how lucky we are to play ET, supported by a great dev studio, SD (can we have some QW news before xmas tho?) who actively help the modding scene and fixed various bugs on their own time to make ET that bit more complete.

http://www.iwnation.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=17450

Im tempted to register and tell the CoD2 guys the ET will answer all their problems :cool:

(nUllSkillZ) #2

I’ve read about this action in the german forums / on german websites.
I think it will not change anything.
They’ve got your money.
I think not buying this game or an expansion / CoD3 is the right way if you want to hurt them.

BTW I haven’t bought it because I have remembered the same things from CoD1.
And I love to play MP games online and mods.
So why buying a game that is not cheatprotected and where the developers don’t respect the community.
And another reason:
From what I’ve heard most of the maps are the ones from CoD1.

(ouroboro) #3

the time to boycott was after playing the demo and realizing it was a clone of the first CoD (and who can blame them for being timid regarding change, they made a boatload off the first one), on a poorly performing “in-house engine” (read: they took their Q3 license and ported it to D3D). IW took a nosedive IMO. CoD > CoD:UO > CoD2. they started out with a bang and it’s been downhill since. they were actually very good about releasing patches and addressing issues in the first game. then they released UO which was the aborted fetus of CoD+RtCW+BF1942. and now this hideous beast which has the nerve to call itself part two, when it is actually just an expansion pack on a new engine.

the time to boycott is not after you made a foolish purchase that you could have avoided (i use “you” as a generalization). you shouldn’t reward developers for releasing tripe. brand loyalty is a weakness. developers watch sales figures. go where the quality leads you and they will follow.

oh, and ROFLCOPTER @ the notion that you can possibly get away with not including a robust anticheat out of the box. not anymore, folks. say hello to your new overhead cost. unless you’re going to develop your own in-house solution ala VAC, you better get cozy with Tony Ray, or i ain’t buyin.

tsk, tsk, IW.

(Joe999) #4

lol, COD2 isn’t the first. did anyone ever try far cry? no support at all. no updates at all. nothing. money lost. never again will i ever buy any crytek game.

putsCODonthepersonalblacklistrightbelowfarcry*

(nUllSkillZ) #5

I think far cry is supported very well.
They have an own website for the modding / mapping community:
http://www.crymod.com/

And I think there are patches as well.
But there aren’t many players / the community is very small.

Edit:

I’ve found a nice post in the above mentioned thread:

:smiley:

(DarkangelUK) #6

I know of several mods that moved from CoD to other games because of the pure lack of community support from IW. By the looks of it, they haven’t learned their lesson.

(dime1622) #7

What mod would do that???

:lol:

(MindgamE) #8

Didn’t they tell you PoP guys that deployable mg42 was impossible? I LOLLERSKATED when you guys put out that vid.

(dime1622) #9

yeah, many times. they told us to our faces in a meeting that it was impossible.

(DWM|Commando) #10

I just bought CoD2, beat the SP in 2days (coulda did it in 1 but i dont wanna be a nerd or anything :P) hmmmm

(eq-Shrike) #11

… money well spent then …

(EB) #12

<<< dislikes COD2 in every facet.

Especially because of the ANNOYING soldiers yelling ANNOYING sayings like “Jerry” EVERY 2 SECONDS !!!

OK…I GET IT…THEY’RE F’n “JERRY-s”…STFU ALREADY ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Wils) #13

I have to agree there - it was more their apparent surprise at encountering them that annoyed me, though. That and having to kill my squadmates on the quiet so I could steal their BAR :slight_smile:

(Salteh) #14

I request “omg strogg spotted” and “dkfsSK, SKFOS KSDOSD ???”(wtf, EDF therez !!!) vsays in etqw :slight_smile:

(Sick Boy) #15

That would be a cool feature for ETQW, to reward us stealthy tk’ers :cool:

(ChumChum) #16

I always liked how ET was released with the statement that it will not be supported, there will not be patches, there will not be an SDK, and there will not be mods. That way, when the SDK was released to shrub and bani, we got 2 really good mods that made some minor gameplay changes. Then, with the changes they made, we got the first patch. Later the SDK was released and everyone got to play around with it. Even more mods were released and we then saw a 2nd patch. No expectations, all reward.

The players on the IW boards are childish and ignorant. They don’t understand most of what they speak. I see some of that on these boards as well but not nearly as bad. We have a ton of very thankful, appreciative, and knowledgeable people here. Except that Ifurita guy.

When ETQW is released we will see more posts about why it isnt free and vehicles and anything else that isn’t W:ET but I am willing to bet that we will still see a lot of support for the changes that are made from ET and an overall sense of excitement with a new game.

I always throw around this quote because it is spot on and makes me giggle. I think I stole it from someone who posted it in the #wolftactics channel back when that mod was being developed. I may have even posted it here once before. It’s by some dude named Locki :rolleyes: and he encompasses game development with the following quote:

Game development is like the game paper, scissors and stone; if you make stone beat paper, the stone players are happy, but the paper players are not. Any change you make can unbalance the game, but none of the players (stone, paper or scissors) want to play with what they have and all want upgrades.

Splash Damage has always had a welcoming feel on their boards no matter how insane some of the posts have been. I think this is a big factor in the overall atmosphere generated here by the players. The CoD community definately lacks this so things like this “strike” occur. That strike post helps put things into perspective when you look at this game community.

Thank you Splash Damage for creating a very fun game and community in Enemy Territory and I look forward to and will most definately pre-order Quake Wars.

(ouroboro) #17

i’ve seen a lot of SD bashing, and i’ve even said that i don’t think a lot of what makes ET different from RtCW was good from a competition standpoint. but for pubs? it’s genius. i’m confident SD will give us a great game in ET:QW. my main worry is that it will fall into the same trap as a lot of recent games - eye candy over gameplay. visuals are nice, but they are a poor substitute for game design.

at the risk of seeing bani’s law invoked here, i have to use CS as an example. CS1.6 may look awful, but it’s got the gameplay, and the performance. CS:S sorta has the gameplay (1.6 vets would argue strongly), but not so much the performance. what it brings to the table is eye candy. well, if the candy lowers performance (which it will), there better be some saving grace. and that means outstanding gameplay.

gameplay, antilag, hit detection, level design, anticheat.

those are what make a game great. eye candy comes in way, way below those in importance. but SD has already proved themselves as level designers, and the main focus of ET was gameplay. hit detection and antilag? well, it was better than RtCW at least. and idsoftware has made it pretty clear that anything with their name on it will also be stamped with the PB logo, so i have little to fear i’m sure. :smiley:

(nUllSkillZ) #18

:eek: :eek2: :eek3:

Please don’t speak about honorable members of the community in such ways.

(EB) #19

I think he was being sarcastic…I hope that he was being sarcastic.

(fattakin) #20

We already know the the majority of the people on this forum will buy QW on the strength on SD and the fun we’ve all had from ET.

The problem with sequels is if you invest so much time and effort into playing the original its almost like you dont want it to ever change, even if less people play and servers die… It was hard for the RTCW community to accept its bastard child ET and im sure there are still a few thousand out there who have never played it, lots have and dont like it and lots more have moved on and play ET.

For people (like me) i’ll always love my time playing RTCW, ET etc but i have to move on and branch out and the ID/SD guys are making that possible thru QW. Who knows, maybe i wont like it and i’ll turn off the PC and go outside and get some fresh air (Alluding to that simpsons episode where itchy and scratchy is banned and the kids find themselves having fun outdoors)
So in conlusion, i have sympathy for the CoD2 players but if it bothers them that much they should re-evaluate their priorities…