maps from ET ?

(DACROW) #1

hello wanted to know will there be a MAP file of one of the maps out of ET to show us how its all done?
like mp beach was?

(wudan) #2

I heard there wouldn’t be any.

(sock) #3

There is no plans to release any of the original source maps for ET. This situation could/may change if enough people request interest. :wink:

Sock
:moo:

(Sombee) #4

I am one interested puppy! :banana:

(chavo_one) #5

I would be interested too, but releasing an actual map may be unnecessary if the documentation you guys release is comprehensive.

The things I’d be interested in are the dual objectives like in radar, the environmental effects, and the new script mover system (with splines I think). I think all these things were included in the sticky thread, so I’m not really worried about getting an actual map file from one of the campaign maps.

(SCDS_reyalP) #6

Examples are good. I know that being able to look at beach and base for RTCW helped me a lot. That said, good documentation with some small samples would serve pretty well too.

Oh, and being able to look at the source to see what the entities do is very helpful too :poke: :stuck_out_tongue:

(|Robot|Bender) #7

Either release or make more yourselves.

Either way, :clap: I really enjoy this game and would like to see more and more mods.

I’ll even buy the silly thing, just don’t drop support for it… :banana:

(DACROW) #8

:clap: :bump: :cool:

(DACROW) #9

There is no plans to release any of the original source maps for ET. This situation could/may change if enough people request interest. :wink:

Sock
:moo:[/quote]

yes yes cool let there BE RAILGUN !!! and behold there was a map called it!

(Auriel) #10

hmm… yah, i’m one interested fella!!! :banana:

hmmm off topic, i’m n00b at radiant, and i was wondering how you can cut into patches, and also how you made the curved walls (at top and bottom aswelll) in oasis

(sock) #11

Nope its not “off topic” at all, in fact is about map editing for a change! :wink:

You cannot cut patches, but you can merge/split multiple patches. A patch in the 3x3 form cannot be broken down into a smaller unit. But you can merge patches together into for example 9x3 configurations. The bobtoolz with the SD editor has a merge/split option for patches which is worth its weight in gold!

The curved walls at the top of the oasis old city is done with “phong shading” and simple brushwork. The “phong shading” is a compiler option and the brushwork, well that is just brushwork pulled into shape. Mainly using the the CTRL drag feature of brushes.

Sock
:moo:

(Auriel) #12

i don’t understand any of that, but i’m sure i will tomorrow :blah:

(digibob) #13

That’s in the official release too actually :slight_smile:

(wudan) #14

[quote=“djbob”]

That’s in the official release too actually :)[/quote]

Awesome.

To understand phong-shading, you need to understand a few concepts (rather, to understand it like I do), and then you will probably also understand bumpmapping, too.

Phong Shading

Long story short, surface normals and light, same way bumpmapping works … same way all lighting works, only different.

(Cosmos) #15

It would be really good if you guys at Splash Damage created an official video clip on how a map is made… could last for as long as you want. This could get more campaigns made by able people like myself but don’t know where to start without hands on experience or through real footage.

(Sombee) #16

You should go to 3DBuzz.

Become a member (it’s free), then go to the downloads (which are also free!). There are many great VIDEO tutorials on all kinds of subjects regarding 3D content creation. The one subject in particular you should download are the Quake 3 Arena mapping tutorials if you are interested in mapping for ET. You will get all of the basics down and be ready to attempt mapping in ET once SD releases their documentation. Just in case you weren’t aware, mapping in Q3A is the same as RTCW. Only, RTCW has different scripting involved, etc.

(chavo_one) #17

blehck…video tutorials. I guess I’m just too old school. Give me some good documentation.

(Cosmos) #18

You should go to 3DBuzz.

Yup already done so mate thanks for the info anyway.
Those tutorials are great I made a simple map in 30mins.

(DACROW) #19

:banghead: :bored: :blah: :cool: :moo: