RTCW 1.41 patch?

(nocknoc) #1

As far as I have understood, you stood for the coding of the 1.4 patch. Now, 1.4 presented the RTCW community with some rather irritating bugs, which luckily the different mods (OSP, Shrub) fixed rather fast. But there are still many servers out there just running vanilla RTCW.
Previous patches came with bugs as well, but they got fixed rather fast - 1.3 -> 1.31 -> 1.32 -> 1.33. Now 1.4 is here, and we’re back to the bugs. ATM the whole community is devided between 1.33 and 1.4, the clans play 1.4 due to leagues going 1.4/OSP 0.82a, but I guess many pubbers are still 1.33 due to the bugs in 1.4.
Now, for my question; Where is the upgrade? It’s been quite some time since 1.4 got released, and we have seen no response whatsoever to all forum complaints, we do not even know if it is in the works. Perhaps I am wrong, in that you didn’t make the 1.4 patch, but the community is waiting for 1.41 to get rid of all bugs. If you search the different RTCW forums you will even see that people have collected lists of all bugs.

The most nasty one is the client crash, but there is no answer on that one yet, if it is 1.4 or PB that is causing it.

Anyway, all I want is an answer - will this patch get updated soon, is it in the works, or have the responsible companies given up on vanilla rtcw?

Lastly, mp_dam is a great map, but the stairwell bug keeps it out from competition. We had it in a league, and it nearly killed the servers. User mappers fix their maps if they have flaws, and this is not a bug you are not aware of. How about fixing the dam bug in 1.41 as well, so that it can be used again? It is a great map for 6vs6, but you rule it out by having a massive bug in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nocknoc on 2002-11-25 15:05 ]</font>

(Locki) #2

Hi nocknoc,

You’re right that we had handled the previous patches (1.31 and 1.32 while we were making Tram Siege, Rocket and Dam), but because we’re now working full-time on Enemy Territory we weren’t able to dedicate all our time to 1.4, so while we’ve tried to help with some things (modem friendly code etc), id have been doing the majority of the work on 1.4 themselves and have had one of their programmers working full-time on it.

Often the entries in the ‘read-me’ only list a few things (I’m not too sure why, but I expect there’s a good reason), but there’s actually hundreds of minor bug-fixes that go in to a patch along with the few big publicised ones. This is true for 1.4 too.

1.41 is close to completion. It’s with Activision’s play-testing team right now and will be released as soon as they’re happy it’s stable. id have definitely not given up on RtCW. We often have to stop what we’re doing to jump in and help with RtCW at id’s demand :smile:.

As for mp_dam, we fixed it months ago, but Activision need to find time to test it thoroughly. Even though it’s a simple fix, it needs to go through a really stringent testing cycle because id Software and Activision have really tight quality control. It will then be released as mp_dam2 (or some other name to ensure there’s no confusion between the two). It’s definitely on it’s way – I can’t wait to play the fixed version on servers either!

Thanks for stopping by on our forums nocknoc,

Paul ‘Locki’ Wedgwood
CEO/Lead Designer
Splash Damage

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Locki on 2002-12-01 23:45 ]</font>

(demoneye) #3

While we’ve got you’re attention Locki…

Have you any idea if we’re going to see a test of ET/MP before Christmas?

Referencing this quote…

Kevein Cloud: We hope to release a multiplayer test this year, but not a full demo until early 2003. The test will be released to get feedback on network functionality and gameplay balance and will have limited content. We hope to release the demo a month or so prior to the full release of the title.

DeMoNeye

(Captain) #4

Good to hear that the Patch is on the way…

And even better to hear that they are taking longer due to the fact that they are playtesting it thoroughly.

Regards the MPTest - I would again prefer they took their time - It was the outstanding quility of the original Mp test that blew everyone away - and got them addicted on Rtcw - Lets hope that the 2nd does the same for Rtcw:ET.

good good news…