[MAP] TheRiver II Redux RELEASE

(]UBC[ McNite) #1

YAY IT IS DONE.
After some months of on-and-off mapping, some need-more-creativity-breaks and some hectic last playtests and final-final-final compiles last night we can proudly announce the release of

TheRiver II Redux

Its a complete overwork of The River II… main changes are improved playability of the first stage, voice objectives & ingame command maps to tell players what to do, fog like in the original RtCW map, seriously improved gameperformance, some gadgets for pubbers, tighter gameplay for matches, and of course atmosphere and looks… in fact there isn’t one area in the map left that didn’t undergo changes, and all major structure was redone/improved… crazy if u ask me. However the result is a true Redux.
:drink:

STORY
---------------------------------
Spring 1945: Allied Intelligence reports that the Axis is using Castle Silbereck and its old silver mines as a bunker complex to hoard treasure looted from occupied Europe…
The Allies launch a daring raid to steal the treasure list and escape to a waiting truck.
Axis forces located in a guard house and the bunker complex defend the Tram Station and the Castle bunker… this turns Castle Silbereck into a place of furious battle…

Features
Fast and adrenalin-packed 2-stage map with a long document-run designed for SW and 6on6.

Challenging fighting in various environments:
Close quarter combat in tunnels, caves, stairs and a castle/bunker setting
as well as mid- and long-range fighting in open terrain.

Several access routes to the primary objectives offer tactical variation.
Game-layout is offense bias and offers both fast wins in less than 3 mins and
successful defense.

First Stage
Allies have to get a forward spawn by repairing a broken Engine Control Panel.

Second Stage
Allies capture the Bunker Flag to get a spawn close to the documents.
Then they need to steal the documents and take them to the waiting
Escape Truck.

List of Objectives for Allies
------------------------------------------------------------------
1st Primary: Repair the Engine Panel which gives the forward spawn in the Tram Station.
2nd Primary: Steal the Treasure List and take it to the Escape Truck.
Secondary: Destroy the Tunnel Barrier for a 2nd route to the Tram Station.
Secondary: Capture the Bunker Flag for a forward spawn.
Secondary: Destroy the Bridge Controls to lower the Bridge.
Secondary: Blow up the Front Wall for easy access/ escape to and from the yard.
Secondary: Build the Command Post.

List of Objectives for Axis
------------------------------------------------------------------
1st Primary: Defend the Tram Station, don’t let Allies repair the Engine Panel.
2nd Primary: Defend the Treasure List.
Secondary: Defend or repair the Tunnel Barrier.
Secondary: Defend the Bunker Flag or recapture it.
Secondary: Defend the Bridge Controls.
Secondary: Defend the Front Wall.
Secondary: Build the Command Post.

Download and Server:

Download the map here

server: – The River –
IP: 194.105.135.3:27960
voting for maps is enabled, and the redirected download is FAST

Now a lot of pictures:

Allies first spawn: down the left side into the Villa and through the tunnels is the best way to go.

The Tunnel Barrier near the Tram Station closes the tunnel for attacks, and its pretty hurtful barbwire too.

Peaceful view at the Villa area

In the Wine Cellars: blowing up a wall with a grenade to get an easy way to the Engine Room.

The Engine Room with the Engine Panel that needs some constructing.

Axis first spawn: the Axis Guardhouse with view to the Tram Station where the first primary objective is located.

View from the eastern hills to the bunker complex.

View into the yard from the castle wing.

View from the bunker roof into the yard towards the castle.

Lift and Bridge area.

Bunker Flag and the Bridge Controls.

No more excuses: ingame command maps and voice objectives will tell the players what to do.

Here comes some more INFO:

>>> About the map

Map: TheRiver II Redux
pk3: theriver2redux.pk3
mapped by ]UBC[ McNite & ]UBC[ Kach–>
first day of mapping: sometime in spring 2005
day of release: Oct 21st 2005

>>> original map for RtCW

pk3: mp_TheRiver.pk3
mapped by TanyaCheex
All credits for gamelayout and objectives of the 2nd stage to go TC!
Tanya if you ever read this, you made the best custom map for RtCW ever!

>>> credit for models

truck Opel Blitz model by Detoeni (www.planetwolfenstein.com/detoeni/)

>>> credit for paintings

3 paintings in the castle by ]UBC[ Kach–>

>>> Known Bugs & issues

• fog: new nvidia cards with certain drivers and fastsky 0 seem to make the fog very transparent
    and the map looks cut off then; fastsky 1 fixes it
  • lift won’t move when a body is sinking through its platform
  • tram: occasionally a player might get crushed, but its very rare
  • FPS: Players with old gfx-cards (ge2 MX and g3 MX) will have real low FPS in the central area
    Bugs: there shouldn’t be too many left (i hope) =P

>>> playerloads

This map is well playable for 8 and more players and is best playable with medium
playerloads.
Its is also a challenging map for 6on6.
The River II (the predecessor) has been running on servers with 54 players and
was still playable.

>>> spawntime

Standard settings are:
Allies 15 secs, Axis 20 secs which is slightly favouring Allies.
This is a fast map (where u can die fast too). Short spawntimes
keep the game tight and ongoing.
For matches these spawntimes require good timing on offense but are well playable.
Very long spawntimes enable the defending team to set up defense/crossfire too easily.

>>> map playtime

This is a very fast map. 15 Minutes is the original playtime of the RtCW map and
is still the right time.
A good team (or a lucky one) can win the map in less than 3 Minutes.

>>> restrictions on weapons

Just the usual maximum on panzerfausts and riflenades will do well.

>>> THANKS GO TO

my clan for tons of good times playing ET and River
Kach–> for mapping with me
$taTiK for feedback whenever i needed some
Duke for his cool voice

>>> Help with mapping and the whole mess:

decoy for lots of feedback and 2 textures
all the helpful ppl that answered my posts on www.splashdamage.com
the community at www.etnation.co.uk for lots of discussion
the folks that run www.level-designer.de and doing that whole lot of fantastic tutorials (keep up the great work!!!)

>>> design supervisor

]UBC[ $taTiK

>>> testing the map

M8D DrStock @ www.M8D.org
the clans (in no particular order)
]UBC[, M8D, TWR, TFA
and all the players who participated in one or more of the numerous playtests
keep up the game, you guys are THE GAME

(dime1622) #2

looking good, ill have to download this when i get home

(Pytox) #3

Gonna have a look @ it :), it looks great on pics!

(Northerner) #4

pics look real good, cant wait to check it out!

got it mirrored for ya on rtcwfiles

and its running on my clan server:
64.34.43.6:27960

(EB) #5

Looks like the hard work has paid off… :wink:

(deej) #6

Sweet sweet sweet. I tested it last night. I absolutely love the atmosphere of this map. It ‘feels’ very RTCW ;-). Further more I get good FPS everywhere and the fog is definitely fun to have!

Great Job!

It’s also running @ et.fragland.org:28960.

(deej) #7

We played it over and over on our clanserver and we’re loving it :). The phone, the church bell, all very funny!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Fusen) #8

loves very nice but awefully big, will check it out when my pc is fixed :confused:

(Shaderman) #9

Screenshots look nice! Have to play it next weekend :wink:

(Juno_Who) #10

Lately I have been putting this map in our rotation and we play it with up to 64 players. But we were wondering if you could make us a version that Allies can’t win in under 5 minutes.

[mapstat]
name = theriver2redux
axis_wins = 39
allied_wins = 113
skill_weight = 0.500000
map_weight = 0.500000

As you can see the attacking team wins 3/4th of the time. I would rather have the defending team win that often and make the attackers earn their victory but as the map is configured right now it is a walk in the park for Allies.

We love the map and really wish it was better balanced for our server. I am sure it plays well with 10 on 10 but we hardly ever have numbers that low.

Edit: Forgot to add that all Allies have to do is get docs and leap to ground where a second player is waiting to pick them up after the first player goes splat, the wall doesn’t need to be blown. All it takes is 2 Allied players working in tandem. Not much teamwork there…

(die die) #11

love the screenies…ill give it a go when my map is done comliling:)

edit:

love the feeling of this map:)

some really nice texture/lighting work there m8

also i dont think ur screenies gives the map enough justice,it looked way nicer on my comp:)

the commandmap icon for the documents dont disapear when u take them,atleast they didnt when i was running around in the map

dd

(]UBC[ McNite) #12

@ Juno:
Sorry didnt see your post at all, that s why I m responding to it now.

Its true that the map is designed in slight favour of Allies, because its tweaked for SW gaming. This is a slight favour with regard to travel times though. With even teams (with at least some players on defense knowing what to do) and decent playerloads you should get at least 7-10 mins playtime.
The fact that it can play very fast on pubs is due to the defenders having no clue on how to defend though. All you actually need to do is have an MG42 close down the tunnel for a start. When docs are taken, the defense has to control the road. There is only 1 way up there, so that s a natural bottleneck and not hard to defend. And with 1-2 snipers covering the roadway even 3-4 allied medics will have a hard time delivering.

I wonder whether you run anything like doublejump or stuff on your server though.

As for your idea of building something that makes Allies need at least 5 mins: What should that be? You don’t even get that with the tunnel barrier being dynamitable and build another dynamitable door in around the River Stairs. You can get into the Castle fast via 2 other routes (not counting the River stairs).
If we can accomplish something with an etpro scriptfix I m willing to help you of course.
What s the IP of the server? I think I ll go and watch a game or 2 to see what kind of actions could be taken.

There won’t be another release of this map though (because it really is final, and we r working on a new map as well).

(Igloo) #13

Great map! I played it many times on localhost, but the map looks very nice :smiley: