Missing Shaderlab links?

(Diego) #1

What’s the deal with the links to q3map 2 and shaderlab? I was looking for that q3map2 manual again today. But everylink I find ends up at Telefragged and a file not found error.

(kamikazee) #2

Shaderlab.com seems to be gone.
Probably Linuxgamers stopped hosting the site?

(Twisted0n3) #3

When’s it going to be back up? I tend to consult the shader manual frequently…

(obsidian) #4

Actually, I think Telefragged used to (and still does… if you can find the files you’re looking for) host shaderlab. It looks like the DNS on shaderlab has expired and was fetched up by the folks at LinuxGamers.

Anyone have ydnar’s current email address (and I don’t mean his shaderlab one, obviously)? Drop me a PM, please. Or has anyone seen him online anywhere lately… IRC, etc.?

(EB) #5

I have ample space to host it for you Obsidian.
-Just to offer

www.spyjuice.com

Did anyone PM him ?

(Diego) #6

I got lucky. I had that website backed up on my other computer. I’ve noticed a lot of mapping sites tend to dissappear overnight so I’ve gotten in the habit of making backups of the one’s that are the most helpful just in case something like this happens.

(ydnar) #7

I’ve been, erm, busy. :slight_smile: In no particular order:

• I bought a house with my girlfriend
  • We got a dog
  • I have yet to set up my PC (or get internet hooked up) at the new house
  • Work is lovely, just got promoted to management

In my perfect world I would have lots of free time and could spend some of it coding on Q3Map2 or other hacks. I’ll look into what happened with the Shaderlab DNS and see if we can’t get it squared away.

Thanks for noticing… :slight_smile:

y

(nUllSkillZ) #8

:clap:
Sounds great (your live and the attempt to rebirth shaderlab).
And good to hear that you are still around.

(Twisted0n3) #9

It’s been down for three whole days now. What the devil is going on?

(obsidian) #10

Oooo… 3 days, hope your world isn’t collapsing on you. Seriously, it really sounds as if you need to unplug, get out and live a little.

Temporary mirrors…

Shader Manual:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/quakeroats/q3map2/shader_manual/

Q3Map2:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/quakeroats/q3map2/

(Twisted0n3) #11

Three days is an unusually long downtime. What kind of technical problem takes that long to correct? Any configuration problem or other data-only problem can be fixed in minutes by reversing the last few items in the changelog, or worse come to worst restoring the last good backup. That leaves hardware failure, and if you keep spare parts lying around in case of that eventuality you should be up and running again within hours. A hosting/connectivity problem likewise should not take longer than hours for the provider to fix, and it doesn’t take three whole days to find a new provider if you decide your current one has failed you one time too many…

(Shaderman) #12

…and have some :beer:

Thanks for the mirrors obsidian!

(Twisted0n3) #13

Is he responsible for creating them? Or did he just find them and provide links? In any case, thanks are indeed warranted…

(Shaderman) #14

Read the text beneath the picture of the start page :moo:

(EB) #15

Not only did he “co-author edit” the manual…he is hosting it as well. [edit] I just like to repeat portions of what shaderman says [/edit] :cool:

BTW…Thanks for the links Obsidian :wink: > much appreciated.

(obsidian) #16

To begin with, we’re not talking about fixing your desktop computer where you can just reinstall something or pop in a new hard drive or something. As I mentioned above, it’s a DNS issue, which isn’t easily fixed since you are in fact dealing with some other third party who may or may not cooperate with you. We are currently in their mercy which is not a good position to be in.

When you have a domain name it has to be registered much like 1-800 telephone numbers. It looks like the domain for shaderlab had expired and instead was fetched up by someone else who pointed the domain towards LinuxGamers. Whether it was actually done by the people who own LinuxGamers or someone else, we don’t know.

Whoever now owns the shaderlab domain may either decide to keep the domain for their own legitimate purposes, give it up and hand it back, or (worst case scenerio) hold it hostage for financial gain.

Hope you can understand the situation. Now go read a book or something. :smiley:

Sorry for the crappy hosting but it’ll only be temporary, since I have full confidence that y will find a solution one way or another.

(Twisted0n3) #17

Losing a domain name to someone else isn’t supposed to be able to happen by accident. Is this a case of hacking or sabotage then?

(Shaderman) #18

A domain name is usually reserved for one or more years depending on the type of domain you are booking. It happens too often that a lease is elapsing without any announcement from the registrar/your provider. So if you don’t care about the lease time yourself you may have lost your domain and anyone else may get it legally. I don’t know if this happened to shaderlab.com but maybe you see now how easy it can be to loose your domain name without sabotage :slight_smile:

(Twisted0n3) #19

Sounds stupid. They should notify you. In most parts of the business world, that kind of thing can’t happen without 60 days’ notice being given first. What kind of place is shaderlab’s registrar running here? Anyway, it seems their choice of registrar may have been poor.

(EB) #20

Can you please just leave it be twisted ? …You have access to the manual now.