Laptop Spec - can SD advise if its QW ready?

(fattakin) #1

Morning all - ive just got an email from my employer regarding teh Goverment Scheme, PC4Home, that allows you to get a nice spec PC/ Laptop with tax/National insurance breaks so its like £30 a mo outta my wages.

I was planning on upgrading next summer for QW but it would be a lot easier for me to take something from this scheme. They havent listed the full spec yet but here is an example. It looks great bar rhe centrino processer i dont really know a lot about it tbh. The geforce 6800 go is a nice card?

• Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology with: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz, 533MHz)
Intel® 915 Chipset, Intel® PRO Wireless 2200 LAN 802.11g
• Windows® XP Home Edition
• 1024Mb DDR II RAM
• 80Gb SATA Hard Drive
• DVD-ROM and Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD±RW Combo Drive
• 56k V90 Modem combined with 10/100 LAN Module
• 17� TFT WXGA+ Widescreen Crystal View Hi-Bright Display (1440 x 900 pixels)
• 256Mb nVidia GeForce GO 6800 graphics card
• 4 x Fast USB 2.0 ports
• Li-Ion Battery with up to 2 hours run time (depends on usage)

Any chance a SD’er could advise if they are running QW on anything with similar specs?
:poke:

Sorry just to add - i want a lappy to bring to LAN’s and have a game in the living room when the girlf is watching tee vee so dont suggest a desktop!

EDIT: found this review that quotes 80fps on D3 on 1028*900 so thats a good sign right?

(Nail) #2

afaik, cooling is prolly the biggest issue with laptops and gaming
D3 should be a reasonable benchmark

(eq-Shrike) #3

I use my lappy as my main gaming rig. I have an Alienware 7700 and the performance is very good. It has the Go6800 which is a very nice card.

Check to see if the one you are getting is the standard or the Ultra. I score around 4000 in 3dmark 05 (I ahev the standrad Go6800). The Ultra scores areoudn 5000

I can play D3, BF2, HL2 etc with whistles and bells on

P.S I think Paul from SD has one of these too but I don’t know if he runs ET:QW on it - I’m sure it can handle it though seeing as it handles all the next gen games …

P.P.S AFAIK The go7800 is out at the end of the month so you may want to wait and find a lappy with one of these babies in it

(fattakin) #4

Hey Shrike thanks for the informative post!
According to the Spec sheet, its the normal Go6800 256mb DDR1. Yes i noticed the 7800go is out soon.
The offer / full details arent available until Novemeber so im hoping they will update the specs although im not holding my breath. Ive heard there is an upgraded model of that laptop out soon so maybe i can get that !! (fujitsu siemens AMILO M3438G)

If it can play D3 & HL2 nicely then i think that will do me OK… I imagine i’ll still be playing ET & ET: QW for the 3 year life of the Lappy :wink:

(eRRoLfLyNN) #5

But what is the CPU on your lappy Shrike? Maybe the 2ghz is a bit light?

(Ragnar_40k) #6

Its a 2GHz Pentium® M. This equals at least a 3GHz Pentium 4.

(eq-Shrike) #7

I have a 3.6 P4
it does have 2mb cache … not sure if cache size makes a diff

(fattakin) #8

Yeah ive had a few peeps tell me that chip is as good as a 3Ghz… not sure why but it apparently is.

(eRRoLfLyNN) #9

Ooo it sounds good :slight_smile:

(Domipheus) #10

Centrinos rocks for laptops, my 1.4 outperforms my friends p4 2.6 :smiley: You wont need to worry about the cpu I dont think :slight_smile:

(eq-Shrike) #11

omg Colin is alive !!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :moo: :moo: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Lo Domi

(Domipheus) #12

aiiiie :smiley:

moved into a new place… having to post/view on 56k. I don’t like it.

broadband on the way!!