Alpine Assault Beta

(Detoeni) #1

I am pleased to announce that my latest level is finished and ready for abuse!

It is designed for 12 to 16 players, with a double document run objective in a short time limit. The action takes place up in the Alp’s at an old mine that the Germans are using as a storage bunker. The Allies have to seize the forward spawn and then storm the mine tunnels and steal their opponents secret battle plans.

Screenshots, Download and Level guide can be found here.

Non FP D/L: http://www.pcgamemods.com/15406/

:slight_smile:

(kamikazee) #2

Great looking map, according to the screenshots! I’ll give it a try this evening.

(thore) #3

Niiiiiice screenshots, I’ll leave my footprints in that snow right now!

(Although I’m quite “angry” your’ve “stolen” “MY” mine idea :smiley: )

(Shaderman) #4

Very nice pictures Detoeni! Now all I need is a server hosting this map in Europe :smiley:

(Northerner) #5

Mirrored on RTCWFiles.com

map looks great by the way, cant wait to play it!

EDIT:
just looked around the map and it looks really cool but the train moves WAY to fast!

hope it isnt a cluster**** in the tunnels?

(.Chris.) #6

wow, the screenshots look more than great, really nicely done there bet it took a while to make all that, havent had chance to try it out on server yet but hopefully will do soon, any idea on release date of the models? i got my eye out for that safe! :smiley:
well done.

(FireFly) #7

Just had a run through it and must admit it’s a very exciting map. I like the fact that the map is divided into 2 separate, totally different areas: the outside area ( very open) and the cave sections (very claustrophobic)…

About the cave sections and the cart driving through it: they are just amazing. The brushwork inside the caves is very, very good. creating caves is the most time consuming and difficult thing to do in gtk radiant. I often ended up with allot of seams, but I did not spot any seams or wrong texturing in the caves… great job.Also instead of using the same old stock textures that comes with the game you used allot of custom made textures.

The objectives and commandmap are very direct and easy to follow.

It clearly shows that you spend allot of time on this map and all of it’s details…

However I noticed 2 things in the map: First, the carts move very, very fast. It almost feels like a roller coaster experience. This way players running around in the caves don’t stand a change when they encounter a cart: they get crushed at the spot…

Second: r_speeds are very high on some spots.I often got 40k and some spots even got 50k (near the cave exit, towards the open area).

Nevertheless I really enjoyed this map and can’t wait to play it on a server…

(kamikazee) #8

If I remember it good from some map info: these were planned so or at least were meant to be fast.

(thore) #9

So here’s a little roundup of my first walk through the map (no particular order):

1. Some of the upper shelves(?) could need some more clipping (shack near the Side Gate)
  2. I spent ages just switching the switch. LOVE it, GREAT job!
  3. There is a lot of fighting at Korfe Castle. Z-Fighting to be specific
  4. Those chairs just didn’t want to explode when being shot :frowning:

5) Those lamps are almost 100% bright white, while the shadows casted oto the roof(?) are pitch black. Is this meant to be that way?
6) Pitch black section. Since this is the only one I could find in the whole cave system, I’m not sure whether or not this one is intended.
7) Maybe those signs are a little too small… (German signs would be cool, since we’re at the Alps. Feel free to ask me for a brief translation :wink: )
8.) The train has some weird rectangle shadow outline. I suppose you use some kind of shadow.tga that needs some more transparency
at the edges. I’d like to agree with all posters before who stated the train is “little” too fast. Maybe it can have some rumble sound on
those old cracky railways too?

9) There’s no visual clue to players they cannot go left any further. This may irritate any player that isn’t familiar
with mapping and invisible clip brushes :wink: Maybe just raise the terrain as you did with the path leading towards Side Gate.
10) Minor texture-aligment issue.
11) Some mousehole in the rock…

What can I say? This map simply looks great in style, lighting and textures, although it’s
not that alpine-ish as I’d thought / wished. Maybe I can spot some nice server running that
map to actually PLAY it instead of only stumbling on the localhost :wink:

(Can’t wait for you to release the modelpack… I’ll most definitely grab a bunch of those cavelights…)

~Greetings
Rolf

Map on!

(Detoeni) #10

Thanks folks,

The models sets will be out in a few days/week, just got a few bits to finish with them.

The train is a little quick :slight_smile: . Most of the tunnels have places where you can jump out of the way and some places where you can’t. If there is too many problems with it, I added a pk3 to the zip with a script that stops the train from running.

My working limit was 40000, there is two places that I know run up to 45k briefly, I will work at trimming this down a bit, but even when the maps pushing 40k the fps is still quite good (I get 56fps at the two black spots)

Thore, in your point three, even if I turn all my setting down to 16bit and look at that poster from half way down the room, I cant see any z-fighting. Do the other posters in the map do that as well?
point four, props are not too kind on the net code + I wanted a chair there.
point five, good call, the lights are set up diffirent in that room, I should change so its the same as the others
point six, it was intentional, if I add one light you get a small dark spot and if add two its too bright, so I went with option three.
point seven, yes they need to be bigger, not sure about the signs in German though. I’ll think on that.
point eight, yes the train needs better sounds, I am still hunting for something suitable. My train shadow is not quite 100% black at the edge. that and the other points will be looked into.
Many thanks

(Shaderman) #11

Thanks a lot in advance!

My working limit was 40000

For me this seems to be a high limit :eek: May I ask for the determining factors for ths limit?

not sure about the signs in German though.

I’d like to help translating the signs into German if you want to.

(Detoeni) #12

Why 40k, 40k is not a hard and fast limit. fps is of more interest to me.
I ran round the standard maps and noted the worst fps I could find in each. The SD maps have about a 30k player view maximum, fps at these points go from about 54 to 64 on my computer. My maps two worst points, where I have my lowest fps, are running at 56fps and 45k been drawn (I didn’t think that was too bad :slight_smile: ). My 40k limit puts the fps low point at about 60fps which I thought was quite reasonable.

So long as the fps is fast (which it is over 95% of the map), then I’m happy.

Signs, I’m still thinking, but if I need any help, I’ll yell.

edit:
I thought I’d just mention, in case no one noticed, air and artillery attacks don’t work at the allies spawn/half-track

(thore) #13

I tested the z-fight at korfe castle with r_depthbits 0, 16 and 32 with all the same result. This issue appears at Korfe only.
All other posters behave as they’re supposed to.

No probs with fps though (XP2400 + Radeon9600). Just feels nice and smooth. (Can’t say that for radar :wink: )

(MrLego) #14

Thore do you have your framerate uncapped?

Mine is capped at 75 and I could not see any Z-fighting on the posters from any distance or angle.

Once again Detoeni turns out another great looking map (Korfe is one of my favorites).

The trackswitch had me occupied for a couple of minutes while I admired it. :slight_smile:

Nice work. :drink:

(Riff_Raff) #15

looks nice…had a look about it and liked what i saw…i will try to have it on the pub ptgn brisbane (australian) server for septembers campaign rotation.

Just to ad that i like a map that feels and looks good has good objectives.The real test will see how the et community likes it…
Your a great map maker.and a eye for detail and imagination.

I look forward to your next et map :drink:

Cheers
Riff_Raff
ptgn et Server Admin
Brisbane Australia

(thore) #16

@ MrLego

Z-fighting occurs with both com_maxfps enabled and disabled. And only at that Korfe poster…

(EB) #17

is it a decal ?

http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000004/HTML/20031022-6-026306.html

(Detoeni) #18

I don’t think this is a shader problem, if it were, then the other posters would be affected. Theres a second poster on the board, that used three time in the map, it only z-fights at this one place in the map. Theres nothing wrong with the map, the wall and board are the same as the other boards in the map with out the problem.

Also this only effects thore, no one else has reported a problem with that. Which makes it even more odd. I’ll just remake the section without over draw, problem solved.

(EB) #19

I was only curious… projected decal entities can be a pain, but you only used a shader eh ?
I have never seen ‘Polygon offset’ act like that before. -Although I did notice z-fighting between the bullet marks and the poster after shooting it (grenade smoke as well).

With that tiny tiny tiny problem aside…this is one of the prettiest beta’s IMO. Thumbs up on all of the hard work ! :wink:

(Pytox) #20

I’ve played the map and i think its great :slight_smile: Nice j0b!