OT: Sony PSP

(eq-Shrike) #1

I’m off to Chicago for a week on Sat an plan on buying a PSP to take back to the UK. I wondered if anyone has experience of importing a PSP

• How do you deal with the different voltages. Do you need to buy a transformer ?
  • Are all games playable on a PSP no matter which country you buy them in ?
  • I want to get a memory card for it. Do you have to get Sony brand cards or do other brands work ?
  • Any good games you recommend ?

Cheers

(leifhv) #2

All afaik…I don’t own a PSP:

-The PSP includes a multivoltage powersupply that should work in Europe…if the lead fits that is.
-Yes, the PSP has a region system but I don’t think any game use it (so far) since Sony want travelling people to be able to buy new games anywhere they go…the UMD movies are region coded though!
-Other brands work but since the memory stick is Sony tech not many other brands exist. (SanDisk?)
-Check the review sites lazy boy! There haven’t actually been that many games released for the PSP yet…much less good ones.

Also, the PSP is supposed to be released here in Europe in a couple of weeks now anyhow isn’t it?

Life

(Joe999) #3

yup. it’s released in 2 weeks exactly from now on.

i tried the psp and all i can say is that for me it’s too big for a handheld, and i didn’t like what the display brought to the light of day. speaking of it, i’m wondering who in this world buys so much umd discs, that every month more and more are thrown on the market. they are more expensive than dvds, have less resolution, bad audio, watching eg spiderman on a psp is a pain to the eye and a rape of the movie.

(Vaibhav) #4

I have tried both the PSP and Ninetendo DS. TBH nothing beats the WOW factor of PSP but the game are not that great compared to the DS games + DS has got just got a price cut and is well worth it and not to mention Nitendo are just about to release WIFi games. Just my opinion.

(Locki) #5

I have a couple of PSPs - you just need a UK plug on the 2-pin cable (you probably have a spare one of these kicking around - they are the small type used on radios etc) - then it works fine.

If you’re buying a memory card, then I’d recommend the Sandisk ones - they are faster than the Sony equivalent (I’ve just ordered the 1 GB one). Aside from that, I’m told the Logitech cases are best (by our Producer at Activision).

In terms of games, so far I’ve bought ATV Off-Road Fury, Midnight Club 3, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, PGA Golf, Lumines, Untold Legends, Spiderman 2 - they’re all ok for 30 minutes diversion (but I still much prefer gaming on the PC - In fact I just found time to play Half Life 2, I finished it last night at about 2.00am, and it’s pretty damn cool.

I’ve bought some UMD movies for the PSP too – It came with Superman 2, and I’ve since bought Resident Evil 2, Hero and House of Flying Daggers; the screen is amazing for films – much better than my portable DVD players.

Paul/Locki.

(Joe999) #6

they released house of the flying daggers on umd? this movie has to be seen on a big screen, it has fantastic colorplay, wonderful landscapes, it’s a visual artwork. but as you mention 30 minutes diversion … hmmmm … maybe if they would release scrubs or other good series on umd, i’d be endangered as well on buying a psp.

lol, here in austria we aren’t allowed by law to use cellphones while driving a car. i wonder how long it takes until they make a law that one mustn’t watch movies on a psp while driving a car :smiley:

(DarkangelUK) #7

You have cellphones in austria??

j/k j/k we have the same law here too… but i dont think it covers DVD players etc as alot of car audio comes built in with a DVD player as well. I guess it’ll only be time before someone makes a dashboard mount for it and an adapter ro run the sound via the car speakers.