Dark marks on wall with version 31

(Mr DiMPy) #1

Great new forum, really like using q3map2, loads quicker and faster maps.
The problem I have is that since using version 31 I get a dark mark just on one wall that wasnt there using version 29.
Also there is a green mark just on one wall again only when using version 31.
The rest of the map compiles ok.
Hope you can help

Go here to see pictures of the problem:-

http://www.oaktrees.plus.com

Ps this is an Elite Force map

(ydnar) #2

Very odd. This is the second erroneous L-shaped black shadow appearing for no apparent reason on someone’s map.

Ah, I know what the problem is. The new anti-leak code is causing it. Every lightmap pixel (luxel) must fall into one of the BSP leaves that the surface has been filtered into or else the pixel is assumed to be occluded.

Thanks for the screenshot. :smile:

y

(Matt) #3

I am getting this on my map too… How do I fix it?

(Matt) #4

Also, the patchshadows seam problems seem to have gotten worse with the new version 31… Before on 29, just a few patches in my map had the shadow error on them, but now around 80% of them do. I’ve even tried reconstructing them in various ways, and even the most basic bevels have the problem.

Back to putting caulks where the patch is to make fake shadows?

(ydnar) #5

Are you referring to the shadow seams you get when you have a brush face meeting a patch like this?

<pre>
| |
.__./
</pre>

Where the . marks the joint between the patch and the brush face?

y

(Matt) #6

More like inverted… Not so much on standard bevels, but on invert bevels and patches like…

_____

|
     |
     |

Where the slash is an inverted bevel used to round off a corner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 2002-11-24 06:43 ]</font>

(ydnar) #7

Is the dark seam on the patch or the brush?

I did some experimentation last night with patch/brush seaming, and while I haven’t done the full right thing (full lightmap edge stitching) yet, I think I managed to clear most of the issues up.

Will be out in 2.3.32.

y

(Matt) #8

(Matt) #9

Now that I look at it, I guess it’s on the brush. I’ll check later on all of the errors.

(ydnar) #10

Yeah, did some adjustments for the next version that should clear up those brush/patch shadows.

y