connection interrupted

(Zan) #1

Well I’ll have cable in a week or so, but I’d like to be able to log in with modem, so:

When I connect to a server it loads PB lets me choose side and class and then shows “connection interrupted” and just stops there.

I usually have time to receive one or two frag messages (in case it helps finding the problem).

When watching the modem work it usually sends 1kb/second more or less for 25 seconds and then also stops.

After closing the game, the connection seems to be still on, but ping or tracert show it’s closed.

I’m in win98. The game goes smooth and fast if I host a private game myself to try graphic performance.

Can anyone help me please?

(NoRm) #2

no idea soz

(Zan) #3

Correction:

If I create a game as host while connected, it also blocks my connection with the same results.

This seems to be a problem between my dialup and ET. Tried hosting and connection both in PB enabled and disabled servers both having my PB enabled and disabled.

Appart for blocking the connection, the game runs perfectly.

Any idea?

Thank you.

(uglok) #4

Maybe your /rate value is too high/low for a modem. Optimal range for a modem is 2500-3000, for cable/dsl go with 25000.

(Zan) #5

I’ve tried with 2000 3000 and 4000. Does not work.

The problem seems to have something to do with the game starting to download a huge amount of information at the precise moment of changing between spectator and player.

Could someone please tell me what this information could be? Maybe it would be possible to download it previously or change some setting to avoid it.

It makes no sense that this download is the usual game information, as it even keeps downloading when I close the game and it would mean the server sends me several Mb.

(colic) #6

Possibly a PB update no?

Just incase it is you could try going over to www.evenbalance.com and using pweb to download any recent files.

Also check that you

\cl_maxpackets and \snaps are not set at cable settings :wink:

(Zan) #7

cl_maxpackets “30”
snaps “20”

Is it correct for 56k connection?

I’ll try the manual installation of PB, but the error happens even if hosting a non-PB server.

(Zan) #8

I’m getting really close. After installing PB manually (the installer didn’t work, I had to download the files separately and then run the installer) I got to see the Zan has joined message.

But then, the “connection interrupted message” and the connection blocked for 20 seconds downloading something. No DOS this time; it unlocked alone, and I could keep using the connection afterwards.

Any other idea to finally make it work?

(Zan) #9

Is it normal to receive this message:

Receiving from PB server (w v1.038 | a 1315 c1.039)

Just after having installed manually the PB?!