Just another crazy idea

(stebbi67) #1

Just a crazy idea from me ( someone will probably through this back in my face ) SplashDamage is currently very busy making ET:QW. Can’t they give some good map maker permission to remake the RTCW:ET on the DOOM 3 engine. We would all love to see that and there are probably some map makers that would love to do it. Since I’m not familiar with map making there are most likely some big problem, which I’m not aware of, that makes this very difficult but it does not hurt to ask.

(Depth_Charge) #2

would also require modders, animators, scripters, modellers :o

(squadjot) #3

interesting it would be…

(carnage) #4

it would be like ET but with crap fps?

and unless u get load of pro moddlers etc the graphics will look exactly the same… espcaily when doom3 is made for the indoor kinda thing… ETQW is cutomized for the outdoor exprience

might as well just wait and pray for rtcw2

(Snoman) #5

well the ole quake engine has lots of “loop” holes and I feel that work should be put into coming up with an engine. The HL2 engine is insane but that took gearbox like 3-4 years to get it turned out. Things I would like to see but would make computers explode is deformable terrain. its kinda lame that you panz the crap out of a tree and the thing stays there, and arty does not make craters? They have had some success in a game called “red faction” but I dont know how far this could be taken

(eq-Shrike) #6

I agree with Yoda here …

(Mr_Tickles) #7

Well, I think in Worms 3D (I heard from a friend) they’ve used something called “Poxels” (I think, sure someone will correct me though). Anyway, that’s irrelevant for the moment.
These Poxels allowed 3D terrain to be made up of particles that were subject to bazooka explosions etc. So, craters were possible and all the other things that those worms get up to… so yes, I guess it is possible. Never played Worms 3D though, and i’m sure someone will jump on this post to sort out what I’ve said, but there ya go.

(FireFly) #8

Things I would like to see but would make computers explode is deformable terrain.

I remember ( but I might be wrong) an old HL2 presentation on E3 where they showed a terrain getting deformed, however I haven’t seen it back in the released version of HL2 so I guess you’re right, so they left it out…

but back to the original post:

Can’t they give some good map maker permission to remake the RTCW:ET on the DOOM 3 engine

It’s pretty obvious that RTCW2 will use the doom3 engine (although modified). ID spent allot of money on creating this engine and will probably use this engine for their upcomming games the next few years like they did with the quake3 engine.

As a mapper (i’m not a coder) I can tell you that it’s near to impossible to remake ET on the doom3 engine.However when ET: Quake Wars will appear and the tools will be available I am sure some one will try to recreate RTCW:ET…
However By that time (2006) I guess we can allready expect the first screenshots from RTCW2 from the company that is developing the game.

However (again) creating a RTCW2:Single Player would be very possible at this moment…
Textures / shaders could be converted to doom3, also the RTCW/ET models could be converted from MD3 to the Lightwave format (although they would look like crap: having less polygons/less details)

(Ragnar_40k) #9

Magic Carpet had such thing. You could blast your own way through the caves with fireballs.

(TFate) #10

In my opinion said deformable terrain would be much more suited for a realism title such as a “Battlefield” game than an RtCW2.

(stebbi67) #11

Well you boys and girls, look what quake2evolved is doing.

(Nocturne) #12

meh IF ET was built on the D3 engine it would be a massive 500 MB - 1 GB download :frowning:

andmy guess is if RTCW 2 is a success (which it will be) there’sgonna be a new ET version coming up soon… I hope so :smiley:

(carnage) #13

i dont think just converting ET to doom3 would be such a massive download as long as all the moddles etc were just converted and swaped

but what would be the point in that?

also maps would need to be re made and making good fsp large open ares in doom3s gone require some good mappers and a lot of time

the work needed to make somthing better qualitiy that ET at to make it look worthwihle would take part time volanteers far too long to do and rtcw3 will prob be out by then

oh and doom3 has a max number of 4 players i think, not very good for ET gameplay :bash:

as for the single player, thats pretty posible… as for making the moddles look better isnt there some kind of tool that splits moddles up into more vertices making them look rounder and better quality? than just a skiled dude to touch them up

making indoor rtcw castle x lab levels would be a dodle with lots of screenshots for referace and all the stolen rtcw textures… although they would need bumpmatp etc making so that would take some time and new shader files to get the most out of the doom3 engine

finaly to get the rtcw atmospher you would need to the rtcw sound files and that could increase your download a bit

but dont let me put you off :nag:

(stebbi67) #14

oh and doom3 has a max number of 4 players i think, not very good for ET gameplay

Well with this patch the max number of players will go up from 4 to 32 :bump:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/6507/