big mistake you may not of noticed...

(odium) #1

Hey, I’m o’dium from Team Blur, lead Artist of the Quake II Evolved project.

First of all, may I say that I love your Strogg design so much more than that of Quake 4. They just look more… Well, Strogg like, less colourful and Barbie, more evil and dead.

Anyway, here is my problem…

Reading up on Enemy Territory, I’ve noticed you say its a war between the EDF and the Strogg… That’s not actually true, and id software being a part of this, i thought this would of been noticed.

The EDF is “Earth Defence Force” which was “never” a part of Quake Lore. It was, however, the force in Duke Nukem. A very big mistake which I’m sure could have future problems.

The Forces in Quake 2 were actually called “TCM”, or “Terran Coalition of Man”.

The original story that was shortened down by id software for Quake 2 is located here on Paul Jaquays site:

http://www.jaquays.com/paul/quake2.htm

Even if you guys decide to not use TCM, I would strongly suggest a change from EDF because a) its from Duke Nukem and b) its just not a very good name (i.e. very cheesy).

Thanks, and good luck with the project in the future.

o’dium - Lead Artist Of Per Pixel Quake II Evolved Source port
Visit www.quake2evolved.com

(Lanz) #2

Who cares?

(Wils) #3

I don’t remember any mention of TCM in Quake 2, personally - does anyone else? As you say, id didn’t use the full version of that story in Quake 2 - it’s possible they didn’t like the name he chose.

As for ‘Earth Defence Force’, I don’t think you can get a much more generic term, Duke Nukem or not :slight_smile:

(bani) #4

EDF is used in lots of crappy animes. its almost a cliche now :smiley: its a spinoff of JSDF, japan self defence force (which is japan’s real military which does exist).

I suggest another name instead like ASDF :smiley:

(TFate) #5

… … I give up! ASDF?

(Salteh) #6

The keys below QWERTY
:stuck_out_tongue:

(Ifurita) #7

I demand the earth forces be renamed to SDF

(EB) #8

ASDF: Avant-garde Splashonian defense federacy

Other key orders >
UIOP = Utopian Indestructable Opposition Ponies

(Mr_Tickles) #9

WASD tbh
World According to Splash Damage
:smiley:

(DWM|Commando) #10

MTDWP - Monkeys that don’t wear pants.

(damn i’m messed in the head)

(au.Hiroshima>) #11

Well if you’re going on key groupings how can you go past QWER - Quake War Earth Rangers!

though I agree EDF is weak, it reminds me of a particularly bad SNES shoot 'em up.

(Zenix) #12

The Quake 2 manual ( yes, I still have it.) mentions “The Coalition.” There is also a section entitled “TCM INTEL BRIEF: CLASSIFIED”

(Bongoboy) #13

Turner Classic Movies do Intel Briefs? Damn.

(Zenix) #14

Yeah, now you know where their intel comes from it’s not surprising that everyone but you was wiped out in your attack on Stroggos.

(fattakin) #15

big mistake you may not of noticed…

Dont you mean:

Smally Niggly issue with the name given to the team in the game but not very many peeps will care…

(Ragnar_40k) #16

You guys don’t get it: ET:QW will be a Duke<->Quake crossover.

(mouseumk) #17

I warn anyone to be even remotely concerned with what Odium says. He’s a huge whiner on the Quake3World forums. He’ll say one thing nice and bitch about the rest, and keep bitching till people get completely annoyed.

(eRRoLfLyNN) #18

Excellent, I been missing that kind of action round here for a LONG time - wOOt! :nag:

(odium) #19

Posted: May 19, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I warn anyone to be even remotely concerned with what Odium says. He’s a huge whiner on the Quake3World forums. He’ll say one thing nice and bitch about the rest, and keep bitching till people get completely annoyed.

Don’t listen to this guy, hes just another troll who can’t even reveal who he is. Probably the same guy that makes it his goal in life to inter-stalk me, find out where I live, post it on an internet forum, and then follow me about everywhere.

Its a simple post on how TCM were part of Q2 and EDF were part of DN. I know you cant deal with simple minded discussions at Quake 3 World, there are only about 2 people that really give two hoots. You know when you cry at somebody for posting a message on a forum on the internet its time to step back, open the door and walk outside. Let it go.

(mouseumk) #20

When Quake3World had a Doom 3 forum, O’dium kept bashing the game so much they banned him.

Now he’s Quake 4 bashing … it never ends with him …

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4659&highlight=doom+3

Just wait, I’m sure he’ll think of ways to bash Quake Wars and piss everyone off here too.